DS 'Final' Diet Long-Term...

TravelingMomofTwo
on 5/11/12 10:43 pm, edited 5/12/12 6:13 am
 So I know I have to eat 100 plus grams of protein a day. I know that I won't have much room for anything else, after veggies, dairy, fruit.

But here's my question: Since you are living with this surgery the rest of your life, are you ABLE to eat pretty much whatever you at special times and just 'pay the price' with the side effects (diarrhea, gas, etc)? I have friends who hav the Lapband who deal with food getting stuck, vomiting, feeling intense pain in the chest when they've indulged. I know others who've had the RNY *****ally struggle to ever eat out because of  fear of dumping syndrome or vomiting, that's gotten so bad, friends wanted to take them to the ER (racing heart, sweating, etc feels and looks a lot like a heart attack!). 

I've read that dumping syndrome and vomiting and food getting stuck arent DS side effects but just want to know what I'll experience in those moments you eat the wrong foods.

And, as always, thanks for your support. I feel truly blessed to have found this board! 

Edited to say RNY vs DS!!

DS Surgery Date Scheduled for July!

HW: 277

MajorMom
on 5/11/12 11:11 pm - VA
From all I've seen, experienced and read, DSrs dumping and vomiting is very very rare. I just stay kind of low carb and push away from the table when I start sneezing or my nose starts running. Easy peasy. I haven't ever experienced what you're talking about--5 years post-op. 

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

TravelingMomofTwo
on 5/12/12 6:14 am
 I meant to type RNY not DS there! The nose running and sneezing thing is interesting-wonder if there is a physiological reason for that?? 

DS Surgery Date Scheduled for July!

HW: 277

MajorMom
on 5/12/12 9:26 am - VA
Some folks say the vegus nerve stretching when we're full triggers the runny nose and sneezing.

--g

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

JazzyOne9254
on 5/11/12 11:23 pm, edited 5/11/12 11:46 pm
You are spot on when it comes to DS nutrition!

Veggies are complex carbs, and you don't have to stop eating them, even potatoes.  The rule is simple: protein first.  If you have room left during a meal, which you will when your sleeve matures at about a year out, you can eat fruits and vegetables, which are complex carbs. Fibrous veggies and fruits can caus problems for some, but not for me.  We only absorb 50-60 percent of each, however fruit juice drinks are high in fructose.  RD Knudsen makes a line of "Just" juices, which you can sweeten with your choice of SF sweeteners or 100 percent juice products are fine, according to my NUT, who is more often wrong than right when it comes to DS nutrition. Ive also found a bottled line called Healthy Balance by Old Orchard, which is reduced sugar, sweetened with splenda.

Simple carbs (white flour and things made with it) and simple sugar ( white sugar, high fructose corn syrup and things containing it) are the only two things DSers absorb 100% of.  They also cause intestinal discomfort for most.  EAT FAT!  Only 20% is absorbed, and you need it for certain body functions.  Eating fat free products is not necessary for DSers, unless your doctor tells you otherwise.  LDLs (bad cholesterol) is the culprit for problems, and we don't absorb that.  HDLs  can get a little high, like mine did, but these are the so-called "good" cholesterols, and my doctor is never concerned about those.  You will find out your levels on these when you have your labs.

The "dumping" that you're referring to happens when DSers eat beyond the capacity of their stomachs.  They're just too full.  Some meats, like white meat poultry, unless it's very moist, will do that to me, because it absorbs liquid and swells up to overfill the stomach. I have to watch it with those, because dry turkey or chicken will have me losing my lunch/dinner everytime!

You can indulge in sweets on special occasions, and you may be able to avoid the intestinal effects if you learn what your limits are.  If I have a small amount of celebratory dessert, nothing happens. However, if I try to eat half a cake or pie, or pop cookies like popcorn, then I'm going to have major issues.

Actually, I don't miss it.  I use SF jello and puddings, SF ice cream (you have to read the label to see if its sweetened with splenda or some other artificial sweetener), and Del Monte has a line of canned fruit sweetened with splenda, or just get the kind packed in juice wth no high fructose corn syrup. but pastries, SF or not, give me the blues!  I haven't tried gluten-free, but it makes sense that they might be OK. I don't know if there's such  thing as gluten free dessert, but I will investigate.

Everybody's different with this. It's completely trial and error.

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

galla1
on 5/11/12 11:42 pm
 I had one incident where I got the sweats, the pain in my stomach was horrible ect ect..... But I caused it myself.. I was at some fancy dinner with some co workers and we were chatting and I just kept eating and eating not really paying attention to my intake... Got back to the hotel and it was not a fun few hours.. But I have never had this happen again... I took that experience as a lesson and pay attention now.. The DS has a real good way of reminding you when you have gone a little to far.. I will have a small portion of birthday cake at a party, or a couple pieces of chocolate on occasion... I have learned that a few bites (small) of what ever I want don't bother me.. If I push the limits, which happens sometimes I usually only get gas.. Now I will say I didn't test the waters until about 8 months out.. I ate very strict, I have given myself more freedom but also have explored with gluten free carb free and sugar free items... which satisfy my want. I will a year out in about a week.. The DS has been extremely easy for me as my favorite foods have always been steak salad, and veggies. 

SW 314-- CW 170-- GW 155   HT 5'7"  I love my DS !!
TravelingMomofTwo
on 5/11/12 11:56 pm
What's the reason behind using SF products? Less gastro distress?
southernlady5464
on 5/12/12 1:07 am
*I* use SF because I am currently controlling my diabetes with diet and exercise. But not everyone can handle SF...it CAN cause intestinal distress for some. For those people, sugar (the real kind) is better for them.

Too much SF can create a BAD case of distress...even for someone like me who is very use to using Splenda in almost everything.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

JazzyOne9254
on 5/12/12 12:04 pm, edited 5/12/12 2:06 pm
Liz-

Gastric distress from sugar substitutes is commonly..note I said commonly...caused by the ones in the class of sugar alcohols.  If you see something that says it's sugar-free and it causes intestinal distress, a sugar alcohol is the likely culprit.  These sweeteners comonly end with  -itol, for example, xylitol, sorbitol, etc.  the -itols are commonly found in mass produced sugar free items like hard candies, cookies (also made with white flour for a double dose of distress!), sugar free gum and some soft drinks. 

Splenda is technically and chemically a sugar, but is not metabolized as a sugar, due to a rearrangement of the chemical bonds. 
Splenda's chemical name is sucralose.  Most sugars end with -ose.
Fructose, sucrose (white table sugar), lactose (milk sugar), etc.

This is stuff I learned in chemistry and my first nutrition class last fall, on my quest to becoming a Registered Dietitian.

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Huneypie
on 5/12/12 7:08 pm, edited 5/12/12 7:40 pm - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12
Jazzyone, thanks so much for your explanation.  I'm going to be brave and try Splenda, I'm pre-op but I can't do most artificial sweeteners due to my IBS.  This thread is great and I'm seriously trying to get on the wagon and demonstrate I can eat the DS way (plus it really seems to be the most IBS friendly diet).

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

Most Active