Just curious about your percentage of weight loss and extra skin....

TravelingMomofTwo
on 5/9/12 7:04 am
 I've read the research but I'm curious what individual people have achieved. I know it's a visually possible to lose 100% (or more) of your excess weight but is it probable, in your experience? Make that obviously, not visually, lol! 

And as far as excess skin? For how many of you in my age range (I'm 39), with the weight I need to lose (120 lbs), have bad hanging skin to the point it is challenging to fit into clothes, wear shorts or a bathing suit, or really NEED plastic surgery...just curious. I know it depends on gobs of factors-just trying to get an idea of best and worst case scenarios!

DS Surgery Date Scheduled for July!

HW: 277

NoMore B.
on 5/9/12 7:28 am
 I lost 100% of my excess weight.  I then had plastics which took off about another 10 pounds.  

I was 45 when I had my DS (48 now).  I have before/after picutres of plastics on my profile if you want to see the skin.
Felicia S.
on 5/9/12 7:37 am - Lincoln, NE
I was 39 years old when I had surgery.  All together I lost 120 pounds.  I do have hanging skin on my tummy and inner thighs...and I also have some (not a lot) on my arms.

I would like to have plastic surgery and probably will if I can manage to save up enough money, but it wouldn't be the end of the world if I do not.  I look good in clothes and my BF loves me as I am (although I'm not naive enough to believe that he wouldn't be MORE physically attracted if I didn't have the hanging skin!).

I wear shorts and don't have hanging skin over my knees...just flabby skin in the inner thighs.

I would say I lost 98% of my excess weight.

Good luck...trust me that it is totally worth it.

Felicia
HW 264 SW 248 CW 140.8 GW 140 

TravelingMomofTwo
on 5/9/12 11:26 pm
 We'll be the same age and same weight at surgery. I hope I look half as good as you! 

DS Surgery Date Scheduled for July!

HW: 277

jharrington8172
on 5/9/12 9:08 am - Hermitage, TN
I had my DS when I was 36 and I lost about 300 pounds (give or take a couple).    My weight was distributed pretty evenly - i have extra skin on my arms, tummy, and inner thighs but nothing I cant live with.   I am currently planning on having my first phase of plastics (arm lift and breast lift and implants) in November but I could live without it (if i had to). 

480/435/180/230
HW/SW/CW/GW

Currently Looking into Plastics with Dr. Carden (in Mexico)

southernlady5464
on 5/9/12 10:59 pm
I was 56 when I had my DS...been at goal since Sept (my surgeon's goal). Been at mine for 4 months. Lost ALL + more of my excess weight. But a panni or any other plastics are not in my future...not enough to qualify for insurance with the panni and can't afford self pay any time soon. I'd be closing on 65 (I'm not quite 58) before I did and it just isn't worth it. I have other things on my WANT/NEED list ahead of that.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

shannn
on 5/10/12 4:27 am, edited 5/10/12 4:28 am - Knoxville , TN
I lost 100% of my excess weight, actually much more than my original goal. I started at 297, original goal 175 (from my surgeon, I think it was based on 75%EWL), my goal 150 (based on normal BMI). I'm maintaining at 130'ish. I don't know that I'll stay here forever; I'm expecting bounceback. (I'm 21 months out.) I will be happy if I stay under 150. 

As for skin, I feel like I need ps badly, but someone at work asked me recently if I'd already had it done so I must not look too bad! ;) I started out in a tight size 28. I now wear a size 8 easily and sometimes a size 6. My bewbies are awful, but I roll them up and stuff them in my bra and they don't look too bad. I wear most clothes easily....shorts I usually go longer since I hate my legs; bathing suit I have to wear a 2 piece with a bra-type top and shorts on the bottom. I'm hoping to have ps in Mexico next summer.

Hope this helps. It all seems so unreal, doesn't it? 

Edited to add that I was 39 years old when I had my surgery.

~shannon
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." ~E. Roosevelt

(Ticker includes 11 pounds lost in pre-op diet.) 

Ksan32
on 5/29/12 1:20 am - AZ
 Love the boobie comment, I do the same. I was not prepared to lose my boobage! Have been DD's since forever. I am now a mushy "c"! Lol

I am currently at 130 lbs 10 pounds below goal weight!

Valerie G.
on 5/10/12 5:12 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
I lost a total of 145 lbs, and am a size 8-10 depending on who makes the clothes.  I have some loose skin that can be very well camoflagued with lycra.  My legs are quite ugly, but thank goodness bermudas are in style.  I'm 7 years out and 42, so I started a little younger than you.  I'm content that the average 40-something woman has body imperfections.  If given the opportunity to get plastics, I'd do it, however I feel confident just the way I am, too.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

RosieHawk
on 5/10/12 6:51 am, edited 5/10/12 6:51 am - Ottawa, Canada
I was 35 when I had my DS and lost 103%. I did have a tummy tuck and a breast lift at 36 but I have not done anything to my arms or thighs. My arms have 'angel wings' and my inner thighs are wrinkly but oh well. Like others have said I just wear clothes that cover my thighs which is easy really since I'm not really into micro mini skirts at almost 39 lol!

HW 290/ SW 250/ GW 140-145/ LW 120/ CW 168

REACHED GOAL IN 8 MONTHS WITH MY DS!!!
FEB.22/ 08>> DS & JAN.23/ 09>> Breast Lift, Fleur de lis abdominoplasty, hernia repair
NOTE: My weight crept back up over the last 2.5 years, but I'm gonna stop that shit NOW!

Most Active