My Daughter Is Freaking Out & Trying to Interfer with My Surgery!

JazzyOne9254
on 5/8/12 11:40 pm

Get that employer promise in writing.

It sounds like you work at a great place, but employers can get wishy-washy about things like that.

Sometimes, that "time off with pay" can turn into time off, with unemployment benefits!  I've seen it happen, and I hope your employer is not that ruthless!

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

wittleart1
on 5/9/12 1:42 am
Thanks for the advise. I will look into it.
Carla
k9ophile
on 5/8/12 4:21 am, edited 5/8/12 8:10 am
It's too bad you can't take your daughter over your knee and give her the spanking she deserves.  As others have advised, go ahead with your plans and take the appropriate action with any doctor who violates your HIPAA rights.  There are huge fines associated with HIPAA violations and money always talks loudly.

You're probably nicer than I am.  If I was told,  "Over my dead lifeless body, will I let you do this and get sent home in a damn box.", I'd tell her it can be arranged.  Her concern is touching; the way she's demonstrating it is not acceptable.

Best wishes for a successful surgery and a quick resolution for this conflict with your daughter.

"Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us."  Stephen Covey

Don't litter!  Spay or neuter your pet

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/11/12 1:13 am
She had RNY. But only 2 years... she does not know much.  I wish I had DS and many peopel with RNY do.. or at least VSG.

Good luck.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Lisey
on 5/11/12 11:17 pm - Milwaukee suburb, WI
If you've already arranged post-op care with a PCP where you're an established patient, your dr will give you post-op care.  Your daughter's dr is the WL surgeon, of course they don't offer follow up care on other's patients & particularly for those who went to Mexico . . . which, I think is their way of boycotting patients who choose not to pay their exhorbitant rates.  BTW, I live b/w Madison & Milwaukee and I went to Ungson in 2009 (small world, hey??)

Mostly, all your PCP will have to do is order vitamin labs & possibly IV iron infusions IF you should need.  It really will be up to you to know how to manage your vitamins based on your labs & you get the advice you need mostly from other vet DSers. 

Your daughter is concerned b/c she loves you & is grasping at whatever "help" she can think of to stop you b/c she feels desperate not to "lose" you.  My advice with her would be to remain calm, tell her you understand why she feels the way she does & why she's doing it, but your mind is made up & is based on sound research.  Beyond that, there's nothing you can do.  It will likely cause a rift that will take time to heal, but once she sees that you're okay, things will slowly but surely (likely) get better at that point.  Of course, there's no guarantees, but that is the most likely scenario.

Not that it's really comparable, but my best friend took a similar stance (she's a nurse) and threatened to break off our relationship.  What I wrote above is how I handled it.  I will say that she was very hurt to realize that I was willing to let our friendship dissolve or falter for the DS & your daughter will feel that you're being incredibly selfish.  I think the bottom line is you need to do what is best to have the best quality of life you can in the time you have here.  Your daughter may take a long time to come around.

HW / SW / CW / GW      299 / 287160 / 140     Feb '09 / Mar '09 / Dec '13 /Aug '10          

Appendicitis/Bowel Obstruction Surgery 8/21/10
Beat Hodgkin's Lymphoma!  7/15/2011 - 1/26/2012 

Ran Half-Marathon 10/14/2012

First Pregnancy, Due 8/12/14                             I LOVE MY DS!!!