Time off

BRENDALOU
on 5/6/12 5:31 pm - Oklahoma City, OK
DS on 07/30/12
I have two full time jobs.Both are like sit down jobs occasionally taking papers to other floors. Nothing to strenuous, I was wondering how long most pt are off work for a DS? just thinking a head. I hope to have mine in late July or early Aug.
NoMore B.
on 5/6/12 6:18 pm
 I think 4 weeks is average.  I've seen people go back to desk jobs in about 2 weeks, but I wouldn't have personally been able to do that.  I ended up taking 8 weeks, but I had great disability insurance so finances weren't an issue.  I travel by plane every week for business and when I went back I wanted to make sure I was 100% ready for it.
wittleart1
on 5/7/12 6:21 am
It really depends on the patient and how they are doing after surgery.
I too have a desk job, but I am taking at least 4 weeks off and preparing my employers for the possibility of unfortunate cir****tance, in case I have any complications that arise.

I don't want my employers to depend on me being back to work at a certain time and then be upset with me because I had to take more time off due to unforeseen complications or because my body just didn't recover very quickly after major abdomanol surgery.

I figure it's better to err on the side of caution.
After all, you can always go back early if your doing extremely well, but I wouldn't ru****
I've read many blogs that said they felt good until week 3 or 4 or 5 and then all of a sudden, they felt like absolute crap for a week or so.

I say plan for an extended period of time off to be safe and see what happens from there.

Carla
Most Active