two part DS?

Cfinch3911
on 5/6/12 11:20 pm - jackson, TN
I had my sleeve about 18 months ago. I started at 437 I am now 340 and have hit a halt in weight loss and even gained 10lbs. I was a slef pay when I had the sleeve and it was my only option. I now have insurance that will cover WLS. I have a few questions. Has anyone to the next step of your sleeve and went to the DS? Did it restart your weight loss again and were you able to make it to goal? Also, if you used insurance dod you have a hard time getting it approved since it is the 2nd step to the DS? Thanks everyone for all the help!
 *+*+*Courtney *+*+*

Valerie G.
on 5/7/12 10:51 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 As long as they don't have a "once per lifetime" policy, you should be fine considering you're still morbidly obese.  There is a synergy between a new sleeve and the DS being all done at once.  Those who just do the DS after the fact have slower loss, so when you speak to a doc about a revision, address the possibility of re-sleeving.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Huneypie
on 5/8/12 2:12 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12
maryc543 got the DS in 2 parts and did well after getting her intestines done.  If you check her profile it details how much she lost up to her VSG and then post DS.
JazzyOne9254
on 5/8/12 10:32 pm
First, congratulations on your loss so far.  You've done a great job!

If I'm understanding correctly, you self paid for your VSG, but didn't have insurance then.  You now have insurance, and want to get the "switch" portion of the surgery done using your new insurance which covers WLS?

If you did not use the insurance you now have to pay for your VSG, you shouldn't have any problem, provided your doctor and surgeon word your pre-certification letters correctly.

I know there is someone here who is more familiar with the legalese that will likely get approval from the insurance companies, but "medically necessary" is one phrase that I know is an absolute must.

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

maryc543
on 5/8/12 11:38 pm
Sorry for the late response....  I'm not online so much.....    I had the DS in 2 steps, about a year apart.  I've lost and maintained the weight for geez, must be 5 years now....   If you click on my profile, there's a list of the monthly losses, and I labeleed when the surgeries occurred.  2 steps worked well for me....ADVICE   get rid of your gall bladder..... if you still have it...   mine went bad after the weight loss, and damn near killed me!         PM me any questions you can think of, and I'll respond!      Mary C

DS Part 1 (VSG) 11/14/06 DS Part 2 12/18/07
HW 430 SW 400 CW 210 GW 170 Blog: lifeisgood-mc.blogspot.com

Most Active