Lab Work-Up Question for you DS Veterans

TravelingMomofTwo
on 5/5/12 5:39 am
 I'd like to get an initial baseline lab work up. What do you recommend?

Additionally, do you need a baseline dexascan? 

Anything else I need Pre-surgery?

And, does good insurance typically pay for these?

Thanks!

DS Surgery Date Scheduled for July!

HW: 277

MajorMom
on 5/5/12 6:24 am - VA
My DS surgeon ordered baseline labs and my PCP had ordered my dexa scan because I was over 50 and hadn't had one. My insurance covered them all and has since surgery.
I think a baseline dexa scan is an excellent idea and they aren't terribly expensive if your PCP or surgeon won't order it. Mine showed osteopenia as a pre-op so when I lost all the weight the first year, I also lost bone density. They're seeing that's normal with WLS but eventually you should be able to turn it around if you're able to absorb calcium and D3. Another reason to take all the calcium citrate and dry vitamin D3 you can as a pre-op and post-op.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

TravelingMomofTwo
on 5/5/12 8:49 am
 My PCP is great but I don't think he's had another DS'er, but he seems willing to learn and work with me. My question is this: what specifically do we need to test for? Also, who does a dexascan?

MajorMom
on 5/5/12 8:59 am - VA
I could send you a lab script from my DS surgeon. Your PCP could use it to order a baseline. The place that does mammograms and x-rays does dexa scans here.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

TravelingMomofTwo
on 5/5/12 9:33 am
 Even a copy of what is ordered would be great. I'm gonna ask at surgeons office tomorrow but I'm not sure they'll order it...

Most Active