Which one should I try for???

walter A.
on 5/7/12 11:56 am - lafayette, NJ
Its about quality of life, ds is to live 100% normal post op in every way,  rny life sucks,  I am thin and very happy and eat what ever i like , no diet and no concerns about nsaids. diabetes 2 cured.  I drove thru Ohio to Omaha to Dr Anthone to get my DS. call him for his seminar on disc. he specializes in the DS.
(deactivated member)
on 5/20/12 6:37 pm
 Now keep in mind that I have no personal experience with life after DS, and, as I will be a revision, my life-after-DS experience will be different than it is with virgin DSers. But, knowing what I know now, if I could do it again, I'd do the DS. 

I've sinced gained back all my excess weight, plus an extra fifteen pounds. That's right, not only did I gain back ALL my extra weight, but evidently, I'm not done gaining. Now, in fairness to my RNY, I have had some difficulty with hypothyroidism these past few months, which could explain the extra fifteen pounds, but still...

I suffer from reactive hypoglycemia and I dump on just about everything, it seems. The dumping I can deal with, but the hypoglycemia is scary. 

I take about nineteen pills a day in supplements, and I have occassional bouts of smelly gas. So don't think having a RNY will make you safe from the smelly gas monster. Nope, he gets us all. 

Getting a RNY will not protect you from having to take large amounts of supplements, having to be very vigilant with bloodwork and experiencing bouts of smelly gas and bowel movements.

With the RNY you will dump. You will vomit often...and I mean often. You will have problems with hypoglycemia. You will have food get stuck in your stoma. 

Most importantly, you'll have a higher chance of regaining any weight you lose. And you may not lose much at all if you go the RNY route. You have a BMI of 50, which tells me you have metabolic issues that may be somewhat severe. A RNY may not be a powerful enough surgery to help you. 

No, if I were in your place, I'd do the DS. 

Good luck,

Lynda
Most Active