Which one should I try for???

rcarper1965
on 5/4/12 5:50 pm - OH
 Hello, my name is Rowland.  When I first started looking into bariatric surgery, I was pretty sure I wanted the gastric bypass, this decision was made from research I had done about it and the band.  I was under the impression that these two were the only surgeries my insurance would pay for.  Well since then I found out that my insurance will pay for the Bililopacreatic Diversion with switch also.  I am at 340lbs with a BMI of 50.  I am having a hard time which one to try to go for.  They bypass or the switch?  I know the switch has a better success rate but is a lot more riskier and has more possible complications.  I have sleep apnea and don't know if that will effect my chances of getting the "'switch" or not.  I like the idea that the switch has a better success rate for not only taking the weight off but keeping it off.  I also like the fact with the switch my stomach would be a little bigger than that of the bypass.  I am not a food addict or grazer so food is not the issure with me.  I can pull away from the table at anytime.  

My gut feelings are to try for the switch and see what the surgeon says on the 16th.  I have passed my psychological so all I have left is to see the surgeon, the nutrionist and the hospital doctor.  Any input from experience or knowledge would greatly be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
MajorMom
on 5/4/12 8:13 pm - VA
One of the things presented in my overview was that with the DS you return to more normal eating quicker. I work with clients and may have to attend business lunches and I thought that was a another point in the DS's favor.
There's more research to be had on www.dsfacts.com. Also, the complication rate might be higher because DS patients tend to be heavier on average than with the other surgeries, so it may be a stat due to the patients' health not the procedure itself. 

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

NoMore B.
on 5/4/12 8:39 pm
 Here are a few links you should read:

www.dsfactss.com

Below is a link to a presentation done about revision surgery - why the gastric bypass (also known as the RNY), and LapBand fail a good percentage of people.  If you look at failed proceudres and revisions, you will see that there are many people that regain weight witht he gastirc bypass, and it is not always their fault - ie lack of willpower.  It has to do with the mechanics of the surgery.  I only know of one person here *****vised the other way - from a DS to an RNY, and that particlular instance has some sketchy detials.
www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/4416773/quotDoes-the-Patient -Fail-the-Procedure-or-Does-the/
larra
on 5/5/12 1:10 am - bay area, CA
Welcome, Rowland!
      It's a big decision. It may help you to know that you are mistaken about the DS being higher risk. This was formerly thought to be the case, but in reality what was happening was that the DS was "reserved" for the heaviest patients, who are going to have more complications.
     There is an excellent study where two groups of very similar patients, all with bmi 50 or more, had either gastric bypass or DS during the same time period with the same surgeons. The rate of complications was almost identical for both groups, and the DS patients lost more weight than the gastric bypass patients. The difference in weight loss became greater the longer the patients were post-op.
     Since this report was published, the surgeons have reported at a conference on what I believe is the same patients, regarding resolution of their comorbidities, and again, the DS patients did better on all the major comorbidities.
     You asked about sleep apnea - not only should this NOT prevent you from having the DS, the chances of resolution of your sleep apnea are better with the DS than with gastric bypass. While there is no guarantee with either operation, this is a comorbidity where improvement depends on how much weight you lose. Since you are likely to lose more with the DS, you will probably improve more with the DS, even if you don't get complete resolution.

I am also going to send you a pm, so look out for it.

Larra
PatXYZ
on 5/5/12 3:11 am
I think this is a decision you need to make for yourself, rather than see what your surgeon says. Are you even sure that your surgeon performs the DS? There are unfortunately many surgeons who steer people away from DS and towards RNY for their own financial benefit. There is a list of vetted DS surgeons on the website dsfacts.com. If you decide you want the DS, you should make an appointment for a consult with a doctor on that list. This is too important a decision that YOU will have to live with, to leave in the hands of the surgeon.
Nicolle
on 5/5/12 8:19 am, edited 5/4/12 8:22 pm
Couple of things jump out at me about your post.

When I had my DS, I was 344 pounds and had a BMI of 55.5.

The DS is NOT riskier than the RNY. It's simply not.

The DS stomach is not really bigger than the RNY stomach--it's just BETTER. With the gastric bypass, your pyloric valve is literally cut out of the digestive process. With the DS, you have normal stomach function--no dumping, etc.

With the DS, you can eat a wider variety of foods. I love food, so that matters to me.

I had sleep apnea before my DS and it's long gone.

My opinion? If you want to lose all of your excess weight and have the best chance of keeping it off WHILE living a helluva quality of life, get the DS.

Nicolle

I had the kick-butt duodenal switch (DS)!

HW: 344 lbs      CW: 150 lbs

Type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea GONE!

Deidre71
on 5/16/12 10:54 am - OH
I was reviewing your posts & came upon the DS support pg reguarding Peter Lawlor..I was shocked.my husband didn't care for him meeting him at an informational meeting.We saw him 1 other time after goin to his office for a long 100 mile trip monthly for a year.I had lost 3 immediate family members& his dietician told me,maybe I should take a break & retry when my weight fluctuations kept occuring.I replied,I don't want to die! I was dismissed& drove home crying for an hour& half.I haven't seen him in over a year& half,& have probably gained 50 lbs plus.I was depressed & while seeing him,had MRSA complicated problems so this article makes me think he really was against me from the start.I had Ohio Buckeyee insurance then,now i have Medical Mutual Ohio.I have a doc that my cousin went to in Springfield Ohio upcoming to meet.I just pray I can get approved as i hear They no longer cover surgery,but I'm going to b persistent.My cousin pd upfront but had her surgery in 2 weeks! I do not have such finances& recently lost my sister too..I do not WANT my young children to loose me.Ty for that June 2010 article! He is wrong,I will be asking my records transferred to another surgeon,so that's 2 of his patients not 1 he's lost!please add me as a friend.I was also told DS was not optional w him.So I will ask new surgeon more info!Ty again
Valerie G.
on 5/5/12 11:20 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 With a BMI of 50, the DS would be a wonderful option for you.  Definitely learn all you can about taking care of your nutritional health.  Dr. Teel wants to know that you didn't wait for his staff to spoon-feed you.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

rcarper1965
on 5/5/12 6:20 pm - OH
 Thanks so much for all the replies.  Before I had a chance to read all the replies, I had made my mind up that I am going in the surgeon's office with getting the DS a priority.  Yes Dr. Teel performs the DS.  I checked this out prior to even looking at it.  I found the study online about the surgery test on people with BMI of 50 or more.  At least I think it's the same study.  I had made my mind up prior to finding this but it was helpful.  The nice person that told me to make sure I was not going in the office to have the staff "spoon feed me."  This is the last thing I am looking for.  I am fully aware that I will have to make a complete life style change and rethink how and when I eat.  I have already slowed my eating down, which causess me to eat less than I did.  I have lost about 17lbs, partly from slowing down my eating and stop eating at night.  I am excited about seeing the surgeon now instead of scared like I was before.  Bariatric surgery is only a tool for us to use and should be concidered a cure all.  I know this and look forward to the day I can say I am healthy again.  Thanks again for all the support.

Rowland
Jolly Rancher
on 5/6/12 11:02 pm
Seems like the last few things I read about Dr Teel was that he no longer likes doing the DS, and I thought I'd read that he'd stopped completely. I could be wrong. If I were you, I would see either Dr. MacGuire, or Dr Inman over in Indy. Just my opinion, but I get tired of fighting with doctors about what I know I need. I don't want anyone to persuade you into a decision for a different surgery.
Janice

320/170/150
SW/CW/GW
Most Active