Darn emotions!!!!

ajrober2
on 5/3/12 7:18 am - Houston, TX
DS on 11/01/12
Well, looks like i'll be going through the insurance route for my DS.  Which means 12 months weight loss management.  Complete waist of time.   If I could just diet and exercise alone and lose 230 pounds, I would NOT be seeking SURGERY.  The insurance companies act like surgery is a cruise to the Bahamas.  It's a serious life altering/saving procedure. 

But anyways, preaching to the choir I suppose.

I finally got over my DS obsession and excitement.  Now i'm struggling to keep myself from the "i've been fat all this time, so maybe I should just give up" mindset.  I seem to be going through extreme emotional phases.  Anyone experience this?  Does this happen after surgery as well?

merrymorris
on 5/3/12 7:50 am - philadelphia, PA
DS on 04/26/12
If you feel like surgery is the best thing for you then don't give up!! I made the decision to get the surgery 10 years ago and haven't had the insurance to pay for it until this year. Sure, it sucks but if you want it...wait for it. The year is going to pass whether or not you are getting the surgery. You might as well be working towards it, right?
lololo25
on 5/3/12 5:46 pm
 I agree with the above poster.  Dont give up on what you want. Sorry the Insurance company burst your happy bubble. Insurance companies are too frustrating.  I did not have the patience to deal with insurance company BS, so I went out the country.  Not advocating for leaving the country but I do believe you will get to where you want to be.  Dont want you to give up on what you know is right for you.   
STEVE B.
on 5/4/12 12:15 am

Hang in there. The waiting is hard, but without it I wouldn't have found the DS and would be living with a GB. Your never know what your options will be in another year. Although the DS is awsome, there could be the "new and improved DS" or something even better.

You look like a young man from your picture so you may/maynot have joint problems, diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apenia or other weight related problems, but you most likely will, so staying fat is not an option which I'm sure you already know. Studies show there is a 5% chance of you losing the weight and keeping it off with diet and exercise, so surgery is the only reasonable answer. Have the surgery now or in ten years, but something will have to be done for health reasons so why add 10 years of abuse to your body as I did. I regret waiting and missing out on some good years with my family and my daughter growing up because I didn't feel good or was to tired to do anything with her.

It is hard to stay on a "high", but stay on the course. It will be worth it!

Chicarita
on 5/5/12 3:29 am
On May 3, 2012 at 2:18 PM Pacific Time, ajrober2 wrote:
Well, looks like i'll be going through the insurance route for my DS.  Which means 12 months weight loss management.  Complete waist of time.   If I could just diet and exercise alone and lose 230 pounds, I would NOT be seeking SURGERY.  The insurance companies act like surgery is a cruise to the Bahamas.  It's a serious life altering/saving procedure. 

But anyways, preaching to the choir I suppose.

I finally got over my DS obsession and excitement.  Now i'm struggling to keep myself from the "i've been fat all this time, so maybe I should just give up" mindset.  I seem to be going through extreme emotional phases.  Anyone experience this?  Does this happen after surgery as well?

I know exactly how you are feeling. EXACTLY.  I started this journey to have a revision to DS last June and I hit a road block with my insurance - they wanted 6 mos supervised diet. I did it, and I'm now 5 weeks post-op. don't give up, it can still happen and WILL.  

One thing I've learned though.  If I could do it over again, I would appeal that decision.  There are a lot of studies tht show there is no medical reason to support that requirement.  You migh not get anywhere but I've seen people be successful.  

Dis you get a denial due to that requirement or was it just something you read in the handbook?  If you got a denial, the appeals process should be spelled out.  If not, just call.  If you haven't received a denial, ask your surgeon to submit to insurance so you can get the denial.  Then start the appeal. 

Best of luck to you. Don't give up. You'll get there. 
zix
on 5/5/12 6:52 am - PA
DS on 02/13/12
Don't give up! I was originally scheduled for DS surgery back in 2002 and it was canceled 5 days prior due to some other medical issues. When those issues were resolved, I didn't feel like starting it all over again and put the surgery at the back of my mind. Finally I re-started everything last year and had my surgery done this February. I wish I could have some of those years back to do over at a healthier weight!
Jolly Rancher
on 5/6/12 11:03 pm
Don't give up!!! A year is a short time, in the big scheme of things. Get to the doctor STAT and get started on a "weight management" plan. There may be ways around that 12 month requirement....never know. Have you been to the doc regularly over the last few years? Have you talked about weight or weight loss plans or ANYTHING weight related?

I think I'd get into a program, give it a month or two at most and let them submit. All they can do is deny, meanwhile you are still following their requirements, so you can appeal later.
Janice

320/170/150
SW/CW/GW
seekingsusan
on 5/6/12 6:35 am - Livermore, CA
DS on 05/24/12
You are right to be angry. You don't have to settle for this crap.

The ASMBS statement says so!

I believe the "squeaky wheel gets the grease"

http://www.asmbs.org/Newsite07/resources/ASMBS%20Position%20 Statement%20on%20Preoperative%20Supervised%20Weight%20Loss%2 0Requirements.pdf

PRE-OPS: YOU CAN FIGHT YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY'S REQUIREMENTS FOR PRE-OP WEIGHT LOSS PROGRAMS!

I've PM'd you the rest of this msg because I didn't want to get banned from here.

Research all you can about the DS. You MUST be proactive, and it sounds like You are.

Best of Luck to You,
S~

Huneypie
on 5/6/12 7:06 pm - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12
Hopefully you got the PM I sent you.
ajrober2
on 5/6/12 7:33 pm - Houston, TX
DS on 11/01/12
Thank you all!  

I think I'm just frustrated because I've been waiting 3 years for my employer to cover this surgery.  Now they finally do, but this is what they come up with.  
Most Active