Please tell me why you choose this surgery

hollymarie1122
on 5/2/12 9:11 pm - WA
 I am new to this board, and very excited to get involved, I am currently just waiting for a call from the surgons office to schedule my consult with the surgon and then the date (we are hoping this month and have been told it shouldn't be an issue) I thought throughout this entire process that I was going to go for the RY however after doing my research and reading through MANY of these posts the DS sounds like a much better fit for my life. BUT I would love to hear what made you choose this surgery over the others or why the others didn'twork for you (if you revised to this surgery) thank you all so very much!

Holly
southernlady5464
on 5/3/12 1:16 am
Okay, why *I* chose the DS, esp as a lightweight.

After doing research on many aspects of both, the DS is better not just for resolving diabetes but for keeping it away from your door down the road. I spent much time over on the RNY board and time after time, I saw threads about hypoglycemia.

I have reactive hypoglycemia within my diabetes already. I don’t need a surgery that will make that worse.

I wanted to keep all the pertient parts of my stomach...the idea of a pouch and a blind stomach scared me more than losing 80+% of my current one.

I tend to graze...ALL DAY LONG and for a grazer, the DS is better.

And according to my insurance, I only had THREE options, the DS, the RNY, and the crapband. The lapband wasn't EVEN IN THE RUNNING as far as I was concerned. I was originally going for the RNY until I found out more about the Reactive Hypoglycemia or as some surgeons are calling it: "LATE dumping". Dumping on anything did not appeal to me.

Also I had been eating a high protein/high fat/low carb diet for almost a decade due to my diabetes...the DS suited how I was already eating.

I ALSO need to sip liquids with my meal, the DS allows that.

And the final straw...the need to be able to take NSAIDS which the RNY would NOT allow.

So chosing the DS was easy....finding my surgeon wasn't nearly as easy.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Nicolle
on 5/3/12 1:31 am
You could friend me here if you want to read my whole tale...

But, I wanted the DS because it was the best surgery for me. I think the bariatric world's idea of "success" sucks--50% of excess weight loss and kept off--blah! I wanted a surgery that would get me to goal weight and keep me there as long as possible. I wanted something to help me resolve my diabetes for as long as possible. And I wanted to do it all by not feeling "deprived."

The DS has the longest-term excess weight loss rates compared to all of the other WLS available. My type 2 diabetes is gone. I eat what I want, provided I get my protein in first. (As I typed this, I ate a Reese's egg.). I am more than 4 years out and I find living with the DS is a breeze.

I had to travel to have the DS surgeon I wanted --John Rabkin in San Fran, but I would go there every month if I had to have the success he has given me! (We have a DS surgeon in Chicago, but I wanted the best, most experienced.)

Best of luck to you!

Nicolle

I had the kick-butt duodenal switch (DS)!

HW: 344 lbs      CW: 150 lbs

Type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea GONE!

beemerbeeper
on 5/3/12 9:05 am - AL
Holly I chose the DS after reading the research and reading posts here.  I never wanted a RnY but I thought it was my only option (other than the band which was never an option) and I waited not years, but DECADES to get surgery because I knew I could never live the RnY life.

I got the DS as fast as I could once I learned that it preserves the pyloric valve, that you can eat a lot (of protein) and that it has the best stats for everything they measure in weight loss studies (except for the resolution of GERD.)

I was a light weight with less than 100 lbs to loose.  Many people thought the DS was "too big" for me.  LOL.  Now at 2 1/2 years out I am trying to keep from regaining.  It is NOT a magic pill.  But without it I would be in bad shape today.  I was well on my way to diabetes, already had hypertension and high cholesterol and tons of orthopedic pain.

All that is GONE.  Woot!

I'm on my way to buy protein...talk later!!!

~Becky

Sandra C.
on 5/3/12 1:12 pm, edited 5/4/12 2:54 am - Kalamazoo, MI
 Hi Holly,
First of all, find a super D.S. surgeon, go to the orientation meetings, and any other lectures they may offer to pre and post surgery candadates. Ask lots of questions at these meetings. They love to help educate all about the D.S. If you talk to a non D.S. surgeon expect to have them direct you to the surgeries they do. Its all about business. You wont get the true story from any surgeon except the ones who do the D.S. A lot of untruths will be tossed out there to convince you not to have it. Dont listen. !!!!

I chose the D.S. because it had the most long term weightloss, with little chance of regain. Retaining the pilorus and keeping my stomach were far better than a pouch with throwing up, and dumping syndrome. I couldnt picture myself living a happy life with any of the surgeries except the D.S. The D.S. foods are most like the Atkins diet, low carb, high protein. Its a very healthy plan with a wide variety of protein, fruit and veggies.  I researched all over the internet collecting D.S. facts to learn about living with the D.S. Its a big decision. My insurance would only pay for one WLS in a lifetime- BCBS of Mi. I decided to go for the big guns, "Think twice, cut once".  I have worked hard to be successful with the D.S. Its not an automatic WL system. Eating healthy is most important. Revision outcomes dont have the same success as a virgin D.S. My surgeon advised having the one time WLS- D.S. from the start. I read all the chat groups all over the internet to see who was happiest years out. I have never been sorry I had the surgery, nor wished I had chosen any other than the D.S. I tell everyone the D.S. is the only way to go. I would do it again in a heartbeat !!!!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Duodenal Switch- lap
Dr. Paul. Kemmeter Grand Rapids, Mi.
Dr. John  Renucci, Plastics, Body contouring,Grand Rapids, Mi.
Start 255/ Surgery wt 235/ Current wt. 117

BMI-20, 135 lbs lost, 5'3"

kathie09
on 5/3/12 2:54 pm - not available
Hey Holly!

I'm so glad that you are doing your homework before committing to a surgery. I researched for four years before I had my DS last fall, and I have to tell you that I was grateful that I did. I LOVE MY DS!!! Not yelling, just so excited!!! I am now 8 months out and have lost 100 pounds. I no longer have Diabetes or sleep apnea. I am rid of so many issues that came with my obesity. I literally feel as if I got a new lease on life.

I have several friends who have had the RNY, and they have all regained a good portion of their weight. Bless their hearts.....I just wish they would have known what I did. This surgery is such a gift.

I am a big believer in Prayer. I prayed a lot before having surgery, and a lot after having surgery. So far, I haven't had any complications and am doing well with my labs. I am faithful with my vitamins - and that is something that I think every DS'er will tell you that you have to commit to before surgery.

I hope you are able to do this. Make sure you get a VERY SKILLED SURGEON. I believe that is one of the reasons that I have had such success. My surgeon was amazing!!!

Good luck. I am cheering you on!

kathie
kathie09
J G.
on 5/3/12 3:22 pm
Holly, I felt like I was on my way to an early grave and I wanted my diabetes to be gone.  Mission accomplished!

Also the whole dumping idea sounded bad!
Rhaynefall
on 5/4/12 5:31 am - Clarksville, IN
I was 445lbs.  At that weight, it was the best possible way for me to lose as much as I could.  I didn't want to dump. I didn't want to 'diet' anymore.  I didn't want the Rose procedure later to make my stomach smaller again so I could maintain.  My mom has diabetes and my younger brother is pre-diabetic.  I didn't have any symptoms, but I knew my time was coming and I didn't want to be diabetic. 

I wanted to live as 'normal' a life as possible.
(deactivated member)
on 5/4/12 5:39 am
I can boil it down to one main thing:  If I was going to do something as radical as surgery, then I was sure as hell going to pick one that would work the first time.

And it did.

7 years out, still at goal.

Best of luck.

Sharon
Chicarita
on 5/4/12 9:52 pm
This wasn't my first rodeo. I had the crapband and was so torn by my "failure" that I came to this board begging for support with my vomiting, pain and weight gain.

But then I read about some folks that eat a lot of protein and fat and most were at goal weight.

Did my research and realized I hadn't failed, the band had. And I wanted something that would work, because this is the last chance for me.

Went into th OR 5 weeks ago with super high cholesterol and triglycerides, diabetes and sleep apnea. Last week all my labs were normal. My blood glucose got to normal 2 days post op and has been there ever since. I've lost 25 lbs and I bet I don't need the c-pap anymore (following up next month to see).

Right choice for me. Go to www.dsfacts.com and see if it's the right choice for you.
Most Active