I am ready to take the LEAP! Support needed

sammieguy2
on 5/2/12 2:57 am - MN
Post Date: 4/28/12 8:29 am
Hello everyone!
My surgery date is May 29th and boy am I nervous.  It is crunch time and I want to make sure I make my surgery weight.  I have 8 pounds to go and only three weeks to get it done.  I am planning on following a Slimgenics plan to should have about 7 pounds off my by my pre opt visit.  So, I was wondering how many people ran into problems with not being able to get enough fluids in and whether this is something I should be nervous about.  Also, I was wondering if anyone out there has spinal fusion of any sort and how that impacted your recovery.  I was rear ended (I am talking about the car accident of course ) in Feb. of 2008.  My spine was severed and I was only held together at the disc...kind of scary now that I reflect back on it all.  Anyways, I have heard that the surgery is hard on folks with back issues...anyone have any pointers or insight?

Let me just add that I have been so inspired by all of you and your stories of honesty, courage, and perseverance.  I really feel blessed to have fallen into the website.  I have learned so much and I have truly been moved at times with peoples stories.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Jess
MARTINA P.
on 5/2/12 11:33 am - ROCKMART, GA
 I am here to tell you that getting fluids in is a chore everyday.  I have used a timer to help me remember to drink my fluids.  Good luck
MARTINA
Rockmart Georgia                        
HW: 315 CW: 117 GW:  First goal 150 met 3/23/2012, Second goal 135

Crazeru
on 5/2/12 12:00 pm
Getting fluids in is remembering to take 3 little sips every 5min or so.  You may need to try water/SF koolaid/crystal light at different temps - room temp, warm, cold, ice cold.  Some folks put glasses of water all over where ever they sit and just keep drinking.  I put a spreadsheet on the fridge - had a column for water 8oz at a time - 1 mark... plus, I marked down all the food I ate.

I was lucky and didn't have to lose weight before surgery.  It wasn't happening due to the meds and insulin. 

Pillows to make sitting more comfortable.  Get up and walk every 30-60min.  Walking the first few weeks helps rid your system of gas and bloating from the surgery.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

determineddanni
on 5/3/12 10:31 am
its tough getting water in and remember drink what works:) sometimes things taste to sweet or for whatever reason. don't stress about protein and vits right off the bat, the important thing is h2o.

i am sure you will be on here after surgery asking for more advice:) ... till then!

HW 259          SW 256          CW 141       GW 150

Teetster
on 5/3/12 1:03 pm - Virginia Beach, VA
Hi Jess,

Just wanted to offer a few tips as someone who has had DS surgery, and also has a lot of back issues. I have degenerative disc diseas, sciatica, ****ydynia, multiple herniated discs,etc. 2 backs surgeries so far, and hopefully no more.

Be sure to convey to your surgeon any concerns you have about your back problems and your surgery. I spoke with my surgeon about this before surgery, and he made sure to note it in my chart. When he did my surgery he tried not to have me in certain positions for any longer than necessary so as not to overly burden my back  or legs. Some surgeons actually stand the operating table up during surgery so that you are basically in a standing position for part of the procedure. This can cause pain to legs/feet/back if the positioning isn't done just right.

Also, my doc made sure I had an air mattress during my recovery at the hospital. This was invaluable to my poor back. Walking the halls as much as possible will help too, as well as sitting in a chair in the room sometimes instead of in the bed all the time.

Best Wishes

sammieguy2
on 5/3/12 11:48 pm - MN
Thank you everyone...so, helpful.  I will remember the tips abou****er...drink, drink, drink....hey, I remember those words being chanted in my earlier days, except it wasn'****er I was drinking!

I will talk with my surgeon more about my back issues and see if I can get hooked up with an air mattress.  I will make sure I do this before the surgery as after, I will either be in too much pain, drugged up or trying to be the "good patient" so, I wont end up asking.

I am still trying to drop these last few pounds.  I will likely have my period on weigh in day, so I hope I am able to meet my weight.  I have been considering doing a liquid diet a few days before weigh in day.  Has anyone tried this...I wonder if it even works.  If losing weight was easy, I would have lost it so I am really struggling to lose these last 5/6 pounds.  It also would have been easier if I hadn't of just lost some weight before I went to see the surgeon so, I am having to keep that weight off and lose more.  I wonder if I should have told him this tidbit.  Hind sight, 20/20.

Thank you all again, for your support. 

Jess
Most Active