new to forum, very excited/nervous

sparkle1980
on 5/1/12 2:29 am
DS on 06/29/12
 Hello all~
After much research I have firmly decided that the DS is the best WLS option for me.  I am surprised though that not that many people are having this surgery/talking about it. 

My BMI is 49; reasons that I am opting for the DS include: history of ulcers (first one at 16!), high cholesterol (at one point it was 394), a lifetime of weight struggles, family history on both sides of morbid obesity, fibromyalgia and needing to take NSAIDS, and the fact that I am 31 and have a lifetime to keep the weight off (the long-term studies of keeping the weight off with the DS are important to me).  

My question for all of you is, what is your best advice to me for GREAT SUCCESS with the DS?  I will do anything and everything the Dr recommends, but also want advice from those who have 'been there.'  

My nervousness comes in because a part of me is worried that it won't be successful, as I've never known long-term success with any other weight loss intervention.  Did anyone else feel that way?  I need to get past my FEAR--False Evidence Appearing Real!

Thanks, Michelle
larra
on 5/1/12 3:24 am - bay area, CA
I think your reasons for choosing the DS are spot on. And many people have the same fears that you do about not being successful, but you've done your research and you know that most people are very successful with the DS.
    As to why more people don't choose it, often it's because they don't know it exists. Many surgeons who don't offer the DS don't bother to tell people about it. Others provide gross misinformation about the potential risks or side effects and scare people away from it (either because the surgeons themselves are misinformed or because they don't want to lose business).
     For other people, they know about it but their insurance doesn't cover it, and they either don't know that they can appeal or for whatever reason don't want to appeal, so they opt for whatever their insurer will pay for without a fight. 

Larra

Nicolle
on 5/1/12 4:38 am
Welcome, Michelle!

You sound educated about the DS, which is a good thing. Yep, fear is normal. And the DS sounds like voodoo when you first hear about it. Things that sound too good to be true usually are...except when it comes to the DS!

My advice to you is to do what it takes to get the weight off in the first year or so. Low-carb then, when it's easiest. Carbs have a way of derailing us. So, don't play fast and loose with bread, candy, crackers and stuff in the beginning. You'll have plenty of time to do that later. :)

Nicolle

I had the kick-butt duodenal switch (DS)!

HW: 344 lbs      CW: 150 lbs

Type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea GONE!

WeightNoMoreSherri
on 5/1/12 12:14 pm - St George, UT
 What more can I say on this issue that you all have not already said except that I am 13 years out with the DS and still weigh 124 down from 332 in 1999.

I would reccommend this surgery and my doctor any day and feel comfortable about it in saying, you can win with this one. 

VooDoo? I love this and when I had mine I think it was only talked about on the VooDoo sites back then but hey, I was brave enough to carry 332 pounds around my whole life, why not a little VooDoo.

My DS site is listed on my profile, it's very new but there is alwasy great information on there for everyone, not just the DS. My surgeon Dr. Rabkin retired in 2007 but his brother John took over his practice and has decided to back me on the site so I can educate people who have fears or for people looking for information about revisions from other surgeries to the DS.

~ Peace, Sherri

Sherri ~ BPD/DS ~ Dr. Robert Rabkin ~ San Francisco ~
                 March 15th, 1999 SW 332 CW 123
ancientofdays
on 5/2/12 3:23 pm
Most Active