Does Ins. ever pay for RNY to DS revision?

myladybugs
on 4/30/12 5:51 pm
Hi all, I had RNY in 2006 and paid out of pocket. I applied, was turned down, appealed, had my Dr. write to them and provided proof that nothing else worked.  DENIED.   We have Highmark Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield.  At the time I was 40 and we had been trying to conceive for 12 years (high tech infertility treatment, every test known to man with no answers and 8 miscarriages).  We didn't have time to wait.  I finally gave birth to our little princess 3 years after surgery. I'm only 5'1 and my starting weight was 242.  I lost down to 165 and plateaued, got pregnant, gained up to 200 and there I sit.  I have kept a journal diligently and have not down anything wrong.  Part of the problem is exercise.  I can only walk 30 mins per day (of course running around after a toddler counts) due to 4 back surgeries and permanent damage to my back &  nerves.  I HAVE to lose this weight.  My knees are killing me, back is a mess and forget about playing on the floor with my little one.

I can pretty much eat anything I want and a much larger portion size then I could years ago. Luckily I don't like chocolate LOL. 

Has it been a nightmare trying to get your insurance company to pay for the revision?  I'm in Ohio so travel would be necessary to have it done.

Lastly with the RNY I know there were things we could do (i.e., document with PCP problems weight causing, document weight loss attempts, keep diary etc) to prepare ourselves for the insurance battle.  Does the same hold true with revision?

Thanks SO SO SO much for your help!
MajorMom
on 4/30/12 6:48 pm - VA
I'm not a revision but there are several around either here or on a couple of other sites. Let me know if you'd like the links and I'll send them to you.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

JazzyOne9254
on 5/1/12 8:53 am

If insurances pay at all, it's usually one per lifetime. 

Individual policies vary.

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

teachmid
on 4/30/12 9:26 pm - OKC, OK
I had a RNY to DS revision and I was self pay because my insurance excludes all WLS. It really depends on your policy.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

Tabitha70
on 5/1/12 1:14 am

Cigna approved my RNY to DS revision pretty quickly, I was lucky.

Good luck to you!

*************************************************************************************

RNY 11/00
with starting BMI of 57. Most lost was 52% EWL and BMI of 41.
Gained back every single pound.
Revision to DS 12/08 with starting BMI of 57 (again)
Over 3 years DS post-op, currently BMI of 26.3 
200lbs. gone as of 6/27/10 !!  I'm HALF of the old me as of 10/8/10 !! ONEderland 3/7/11 !!

LadyDi1970 and I are Angel buddies! 

Most Active