Will I need help at home after surgery

mleverts
on 4/29/12 8:39 am - KS
DS on 08/31/12
I am still waiting on my surgery date and only have one hurdle to jump before I can get scheduled for surgery and I am beginning to think about the logistics regarnding the actual surgery and after care. I am a widow who lives alone and I have 3 adult children.  One of my sons will be with me for the surgery and all of them will be seeing about me when I am in the hospital.  What I am curious about is what to plan on when I get home.  Will someone need to be with me the first couple of days (and nights)? I just don't know what to plan on.  They will all be cooperative and helpful, but I do need an idea of that to tell them of my needs.  Any input will be appreciated.
Jolly Rancher
on 4/29/12 8:50 am
I was able to take care of most of my basic needs, but I was exhausted and I did need help, especially with my dog. No way I could have taken care of her alone. I had help off and on for about a week and then I slowly built up enough strength to do things on my own for the most part. I also needed shopping help for the first couple weeks. I just couldn't walk that long in any store and had no stamina.
Janice

320/170/150
SW/CW/GW
MajorMom
on 4/29/12 9:34 am - VA
I needed a little help getting up off the couch the first couple of days. Some folks use a recliner and have an easier time. It might be a good idea to ask for help the first couple of days at home and evaluate from there. 

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

MARTINA P.
on 4/29/12 10:31 am - ROCKMART, GA
 I agree with Gina about needing someone first couple of days.  It will also be a good idea to have someone with you to watch for possible complications.  I will tell you that I was glad that my husband was with me when I started having complications.  Also it will be good to have someone there with you while your are on pain medication.  
MARTINA
Rockmart Georgia                        
HW: 315 CW: 117 GW:  First goal 150 met 3/23/2012, Second goal 135

Valerie G.
on 4/29/12 11:56 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 I was able to take care of myself, but I did appreciate a hand getting in and out of bed.  Having someone nearby for the first day or two home just to see how you get along wouldn't be a bad idea.  You've got plenty of help at the hospital with nurses, so if anyone is planning on taking off work, waiting until you're home would be the time to do that.  

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

bubbles6472
on 4/30/12 6:14 am - Perkasie, PA
Well I just had my surgery last Monday and I would say I was grateful for my mom being with me, luckily we live together anyway but she took off from work also. I have two boys and two dogs that both needed her also. It was crazy around here. I was told to do as much as I could myself...but no driving for 2 weeks (possibly only one) no heavy lifting for 2 weeks til checked but could be up to 6 weeks, no picking up animals or children, no heavy cleaning either. Plus I needed things picked up at the store etc. Luckily I have a wonderful group of friends and family. I pray to the lord every night that I have them, I would never have gotten this far so quickly without them.
AundreaSmith
on 5/1/12 6:00 am - Caledonia, MI
DS on 03/12/12
Personally, I think you will want someone with you for the first few days/nights.  I would get up and use the bathroom in the middle of the night, my Mom would get my pain meds and ice packs for me.  Of course, after showering I needed help to get on my underware!  I found bending down or over was painful.  My Mom was there to remind me to drink and push me to walk.  It was nice to be able to rest and she would get me what I needed.  And the company was nice. 

HW: 404/ SW: 380/  GW: 155

amccu18007
on 5/1/12 8:31 am - Newark, DE
I too would have someone for help the few days after surgery. You are tired and in pain and it can be difficult to get up and down. Shopping just wiped me out so you may want to be really stocked up if you don't have a lot of help. Good luck!
  Amanda
SW 269    CW 135.6  GW 140    

grisaille
on 5/1/12 11:30 am - NC
Well, I certainly stocked up and my husband helped me some. He is in a wheelchair but still could get me water (and/or remind me to sip more water). I had friends who ran to get presecriptions but basically, being a micro-manager, I had someone to help with laundry and little things like getting gas in the car.

The hardest part for me was to LET my friends help me. They all offered and at first I was reluctant to bother them but then I realized that I personally like it when others let me help THEM so I divided up the chores so no one person had to do too much.

HW 369  SW 369 GW 199
kathie09
on 5/3/12 3:10 pm - not available
I am a big believer in help after surgery....simply because there is always a chance that something might happen as you are going through something so major. I was glad that I had help for the following reasons:

1 - I was so tired, and just wanted to sleep after surgery. I didn't feel hungry or thirsty, but I made my husband and my best friend force me to drink. I told them to help me get through my water every day. Sometimes, I'm just not myself when I'm on meds, and they helped me keep the water going.

2 - I had trouble breathing my second night out of the hospital, and I started to panic. I couldn't sit up - and was in terrible pain. I was so glad that my husband was close by, and could call my doctor just to make sure everything was okay. I literally couldn't talk I was in so much pain. If I had been alone, I would have panicked. (BTW, It was those blasted drains. They are a pain in the *** and I was so glad to get them out!)

3 - Narcotic pain meds tend to make me feel a little blue, and it was nice to have company when I felt that way. I was out of state for surgery, and so my friend flew in to stay with me when my husband had to go back to work. I don't know what I would have done without her. She kept my meds straight, went out for jello when I didn't think I could walk down the street myself to get it.....she was a lifesaver.

If you would rather be alone, I would just recommend that you at least have some one check in on you every day. That is just my two cents

Wishing you so much luck!!!
kathie09
Most Active