New to Obesity Help

mrsanderson
on 4/27/12 11:19 am - Mesa, AZ
I just wanted to say hi to everyone- I joined today! :)

I had the duodenal switch July 1, 2011 and have lost 164 lbs to date.  My husband just had the same surgery today!

I was really excited to find this board because I haven't really connected with anyone else who has had this type of surgery. I look forward to being able to discuss the surgery and how it affects us all.
Valerie G.
on 4/27/12 12:23 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA
 Welcome both of you!

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

tawny2112
on 4/27/12 12:27 pm - Midwest City, OK
Welcome!
WHY I CHOSE DS:  No dumping,Highest percentage of excess weight loss , Best long term results, Less weight regain, No band fills, Eat normal sized meals post op and won't regain weight,NO Band slippage,  No revisions, 96% diabetes cured, 90% high blood pressure cured 80% sleep apnea cured. My children. Myself.

aquapeach
on 4/27/12 4:56 pm - Germany
RNY on 03/13/13
Congradulations on such great sucess!! Wishing your hubby a speedy recovery as well. I just wanted to say Hi!.. Im new to this site as well as to wls options and so Im just trying to get a more comprehendable version of what takes place., what to expect  and such. Rather than the technical termed explanations I have gotten at seminars. Its a little easier for me to understand when I can relax in the comfort of my home and post as well as read many posts in the forum.  Did you have any complications? You have lost a tremendous amount of weight--- wow!! How was the pain right afterwards and during recovery and the next few days.. ?? Sorry to ask a lot of questions... am trying to decide which surgery is best for me.  Thanks!
~Layla~

mrsanderson
on 4/28/12 6:55 am - Mesa, AZ
Hey Layla:

Welcome and thanks for the best wishes- he is doing really well!

The surgery itself went perfectly.  The most pain  I had was actually from the gas (you end up with little pockets of air inside your body from the incision) and until those dissipate, it isn't the greatest but it's manageable.   I also had a push-button drip which meant if I was uncomfortable, I could get a morphine drip to ease the pain.  I don't recall feeling a lot of pain due ott he incisions.  In fact, I didn't use any of the pain meds they gave me when I got home as I didn't need them.

I did, however, struggle a little bit in the hospital.  I don't remember most of it but I am told that I was not waking up well from the surgery and that they had a hard time getting my heart rate to stabilize.  I also took a little longer to recover and had to stay an extra day in the hospital.

My husband, on the other hand, despite being a lot more high risk than I was, is doing much better than I did!  While I'm so happy for him, I'm also a little jealous at well he's doing. ;)

I hope you're able to make the best choice for you! Let me know if you have any more questions, I'd be happy to answer them!
galla1
on 4/27/12 8:17 pm
 Hi welcome!! And good luck to your hubby!!

SW 314-- CW 170-- GW 155   HT 5'7"  I love my DS !!
MajorMom
on 4/27/12 8:53 pm - VA
Welcome aboard!

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Nicolle
on 4/27/12 11:18 pm
Welcome! Who did your husband's DS? Dr. Husted? If so, where is he these days? He has bopped around so much it's hard to keep track of him!

Nicolle

I had the kick-butt duodenal switch (DS)!

HW: 344 lbs      CW: 150 lbs

Type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea GONE!

mrsanderson
on 4/28/12 7:12 am - Mesa, AZ
Yep, we had Dr. Husted perform it!  He did mine in AZ but now he's in Calfornia, so we are here in Cali for my hubby's surgery.

He does move around!  I'm just glad this wasn't too long of a trip out here otherwise I don't know if we would have been able to do it and I really like Dr. HUsted.  He was the only one I wanted to do my hubby's.
Nicolle
on 4/28/12 8:28 am
Gotcha. When you Google him, his Kentucky address still comes up in the first few searches. I had heard the rumor he was back in the San Fran area. His lack of stability really freaks me out. California, Kentucky, Arizona, California. When the music stops, grab a chair and stay there, I say!

Best of luck to you both!

Nicolle

I had the kick-butt duodenal switch (DS)!

HW: 344 lbs      CW: 150 lbs

Type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea GONE!

Most Active