2 yrs out and have bad breath- HELP!

smsagardoy
on 4/26/12 4:27 am - Roy, UT
Both my husband and I have had the DS.  I will be 3 years out in August and he will be 2 years out next month.  He asked me to post this questions as he has been really busy with work and didn't have time to do it himself.  He was told today by his Manager that several of his co-workers have noticed that he has really bad breath.  He works with the public daily so he is always eating breath mints to avoid the bad breath but apparently it isn't working.  Can anyone suggest something that might help with this?  Will a probiotic be of help?  Thanks in advance for your help.
Suzanne    
MajorMom
on 4/26/12 8:53 am - VA
I think probiotics is an excellent idea. Also, drinking lots of water with a little lemon or lime.

--g

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Crazeru
on 4/27/12 5:32 am
Maybe a trip to the dentist to rule out a different problem.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

He who can't be Named
on 4/27/12 11:26 am
 He needs to see the dentist. There are things we can carry - and pass along to whomever we kiss. Some can contribute to gum and teeth issues, and some gum and teeth issues can cause odor, so he really needs to see the dentist, and explain why he being seen.
Some times dingle berries are the lowest hanging fruit.  
Valerie G.
on 4/27/12 11:54 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 Dentist - for dental problems that cause bad breath
Sinus problems?  Tis the season, and sinus infections cause bad breath too.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Blank Out
on 4/27/12 11:33 pm
I have the same issue at times.  I believe it's from the gut bacteria, as I don't have sinus issues, or dental issues.  It comes from my guts.  It isn't all the time, but at times it happens.  I take probiotics daily, and making sure he drinks constantly will help too!   It is not a fun side affect of the DS, and it's one I wish I didn't have to deal with...  It can also come from periods of ketosis.  Again, the need to drink plenty of fluids.  Breath mints, teeth brushing does not help, as it's in the exhaled breath.  

Do you smell it?  Is it all the time, or just sometimes?

HW/ 302  SW/287  CW/140  GW/135

Tarragon
on 4/29/12 2:38 am
If it's from ketosis, increasing carbs slightly can help.  You can buy ketosis-testing strips (not expensive) to check for ketosis.  I think some Wal-Marts have them.
Most Active