More questions than answers...

TravelingMomofTwo
on 4/25/12 6:56 am
 Went for an appointment today at my bariatric surgeon's office for initial bloodwork, history, and physical. A few things that surprised me...

NP commented, when I answered duodenal switch o her surgery type question, with an ugly grimace, "You know you'll have diarrhea all the time, right?". While I heard that extra grassiness, bloating, diarrhea, etc CAN be expected post-surgery, I'd read that it usually gets better as time passes, can often be managed with medication and diet, AND is grossly over commented on, I haven't heard it's a sure fire expectation. 

Then, when I said that I'd like the opportunity with occasional migraine headaches to be able to take NSAIDS, she said they were still highly discouraged even with the DS. This is again in direct contrast to what I'd heard.

And, when I commented on LT clinical research on weight gain with the different surgeries, she contradicted me and said that wasn't the case and that most patients had great LT success with the GB-again in contrast to what I've personally seen AND read. Don't get me wrong, the DS is still a tool but the research I've found clearly shoes that it's the most effective option   LT. Just surprised by  it all....

DS Surgery Date Scheduled for July!

HW: 277

larra
on 4/25/12 12:19 pm - bay area, CA
The NP needs to be better educated. We see this a lot with surgeons' office staff, even in practices that offer the DS, but where it isn't their main operation.
      Yes, you can take NSAIDs - but should do so sparingly, and never over the recommended dose. And I hope she at least knows that they are completely contraindicated, not just "highly discouraged", after gastric bypass.
      No, most people don't have diarrhea all the time. There are exceptions, but for almost all of us, it's either not at all, or very much diet related, or sometimes caused by bacterial overgrowth that can be successfully treated with flagyl or other antibiotic. Her ignorance is sad, but we do hear that one all the time.
      Long term results - even the surgeon who would have been my gastric bypass surgeon, when asked, told me that the failure rate for gastric bypass was 30% longterm. That means that 30% of patients with gastric bypass don't lose of keep off even 50% of their excess weight. Since you've obviously done your research on the DS, you already know that the failure rate for the DS is extremely low, even longterm.

Ignore her, or, when you are post-op and feeling up to it, maybe let the surgeon know that his NP needs to be better educated about both DS and gastric bypass.

Larra
MajorMom
on 4/25/12 7:30 pm - VA
I agree with Larra. There might be some studies that will help on www.dsfacts.com...sounds like you may have already read there. Good job on your research.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

STLfan
on 4/25/12 10:07 pm
Wow.... Seems that nurse needs a bit of education on what DS is or isn't. My own family bought into these myths and on occasion you hear of a person with problems but they seem to resolve over time, as for me I have had no problems with my DS after two plus years.
Jeff                    
Blank Out
on 4/25/12 10:13 pm
 I struggle with constipaition most days, ever since my DS.  Never had that problem before.  Also, the gas is easy to control if you only eat the foods that don't bother you.  Pretty much simple carbs will cause the gas.  If I avoid those things, I don't have gas.  And, the farther out I have gotten, the better the gas issues have gotten too.  In the very beginning, you will  be gassy, and might have some loose stools while you are healing.  

How many DSs has your surgeon done?  Having a DS is an adjustment, but, vitamins, water, protein, and avoiding simple carbs has become second nature to me now.  I feel pretty normal now.  Oh, and probiotics are also essential.    I look and feel great!  I am so happy to have had the priviledge to receive this awesome gift!

The NP sounds pretty ignorant, which is common for medical personnel.  You will have to be your own advocate, make sure you research like crazy so you can inform your docs, cause they will not have a clue.

Good luck to you!

HW/ 302  SW/287  CW/140  GW/135

TravelingMomofTwo
on 4/26/12 4:24 am
Thanks all. Office is phenomenal and doctor has performed thousands of WLS, including tons of DS's (really regarded as an expert in them nationally). NP was kind but made me second guess my research-great if it's true but not so great if it's untrue!!

Glad I did my research! Thanks for confirming my research and reducing my anxiety!
mrsanderson
on 4/27/12 11:28 am - Mesa, AZ
I had the DS last July and I definately still have gas but I think i"m eating too many carbs (god help me, I love carbs!), I've just started trying to reduce that down to see if it helps. I do not, however, have diarrhea all the time.

I can't comment personally on the long term weight loss since it's been less than a year for me, but I can say that my surgeon told me that the DS has one of the lowest regain rates of any of them.  I have continually lost (and sometime**** a plataeu) but I haven't regained a pound. :)

Good luck!
TravelingMomofTwo
on 4/27/12 11:22 pm
 I do like carbs too...

I can handle diarrhea if it's not the narrowly making it (or not!!) to the bathroom kind and not the every hour kind, and just that you have loose stool more often when you go. Are you having issues with work or socially because of it? Are you taking any probiotics or flagyll? Just curious...

Thanks for sharing!!! These are things Things I need to know before hand!

DS Surgery Date Scheduled for July!

HW: 277

Most Active