Persistent, recurring diarrhea

beemerbeeper
on 4/24/12 11:39 am - AL
In addition to flagyl and chia seeds which are good advice, I am interested in how much and what type Calcium you take?  And do you take Magnesium Oxide or anything with it in it?

~Becky

Tarragon
on 4/24/12 2:40 pm
I don't take any mag oxide, only magnesium citrate, I know in high doses mag cit causes diarrhea, but I'm careful to not take enough of mag cit to cause this.  I take 2,700 mg of calcium citrate daily.
J G.
on 4/24/12 3:24 pm
Check you multis for mag ox.  I've even seen mag citrate with mag ox in it.  Have you been tested for C-diff?
Tarragon
on 4/24/12 3:38 pm
I will do that, thanks (checking for mag ox.)

I did get tested for c-diff and a whole bunch of other intestinal diarrhea-causers:

CLOSTRIDIUM DIFFICILE PCR  (I guess that's c diff) Negative
SALMONELLA    Negative         
AEROMONAS    Negative         
CAMPYLOBACTER    Negative by immunoassay         
SHIGELLA    Negative         
E COLI 0157 H7    Negative
Tarragon
on 4/24/12 9:15 pm
My multivitamin has magnesium oxide in it!

I'll stop taking that one and look for another.

My magnesium supplement is pure mag cit.

Thank you.
Crazeru
on 4/24/12 4:02 pm
The other thing I found was the sorbitol in my chewable vitamins that I was taking.  Plus, I eat anything that's SF.  Finding those little triggers helps.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

Tarragon
on 4/24/12 9:17 pm
I am pretty good at checking for sugar alcohols in labels (even some brands of chewing gum have them now!)  But a reminder never hurts, I will keep my eyes peeled for any of those in labels, thanks!
larra
on 4/25/12 1:04 am - bay area, CA
I should have mentioned the chia seeds too. You can buy them in bulk over the interwebs, or sometimes find them in places like Whole Foods or other stores with bulk bins, if you have such stores in your area.
     I put them in hot tea. They are odorless and tasteless (to me, anyway) but they won't dissolve. Doesn't matter, they go down just fine and you might find them helpful.

Larra
Valerie G.
on 4/25/12 9:28 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
I get that way when I've not had any yogurt for a few days.  Your bacteria may be out of balance.  I would ask if it may be a possible reaction to the creon, too, just in case.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active