Persistent, recurring diarrhea

Tarragon
on 4/24/12 4:13 am
I'm two years out, recently (about two weeks ago) started taking Creon for wasting.  All my vitamin levels are good, my albumin was the only thing that was low but I suspect that's coming up with the Creon, I get 150-200 grams of protein per day.

My problem is that I have rersistent, recurring diarrhea that doesn't respond to medication (prescription or OTC) at all.  I just had an up-the-butt cam jam (colonoscopy)  and he said everything looks perfect, but the biopsy results aren't in yet.

Now, I'm not talking about soft poop, pudding poo, or mousse-type poop, I'm talking about liquid poo, the exact consistency of water.  When I have pudding poo, I feel I am normal. 

I will stay normal for weeks, then suddenly for no apparent reason a switch flips and it's diarrhea, even if I practically eliminate carbs from my diet.  It will continue for weeks not responding to any medication, then suddenly the switch will flip back and I'll be normal for a few weeks.

It's not too bad, there's almost zero cramping, so I can hold it a long time if I need to--but it comes out at night while I'm asleep sometimes, so I have to wear adult diapers when the switch is set to diarrhea.

I have tried various probiotics mentioned here but none of them have had any effect.

If the biopsies show nothing unusual, what should I do?  Is this something Cipro and Flagyl can help with?  Or something else?
larra
on 4/24/12 6:47 am - bay area, CA
I would think a course of flagyl would at least be worth a try, as it sounds like possibly bacterial overgrowth. More in a pm.

Larra
Tarragon
on 4/24/12 2:38 pm
Sounds good, come to think of it my internist asked whether or not my GP had given it to me as a treatment before and seemed surprised when I said he hadn't.
walter A.
on 4/24/12 8:43 am - lafayette, NJ
 reduce your fluid intake,  you are mal absorbing fluids for some reason, and excreating the excess. 

Tarragon
on 4/29/12 2:21 am, edited 4/29/12 2:21 am
Tarragon
on 4/29/12 2:22 am
On April 24, 2012 at 3:43 PM Pacific Time, walter A. wrote:
 reduce your fluid intake,  you are mal absorbing fluids for some reason, and excreating the excess. 

Hmm.

I wasn't sure if you were serious or not, but on the off-chance you are, please don't follow your own advice.  It could kill you.

Any doctor or nurse will tell you that the primary danger of diarrhea is dehydration. 

You can live a month without food, but withou****er you could be dead in three days.  It could be even less time, as little as one day, if you're losing water at a high rate of speed, such as through diarrhea, and not replacing enough of it.

Any doctor or nurse will tell you that you must be sure to drink plenty of water when you have diarrhea, to prevent dehydration.  You also need electrolytes, so gatorade or any "sports" drink with electrolytes may help even more than plain water.
Crazeru
on 4/24/12 10:54 am
I suffered for 5+ months after my DS with explosive diarrhea & horrible gas.  Even after an elimination diet.  I did two rounds of Flagyl, after the first I was almost feeling human - gas was down to managable but the diarrhea persisted. 

I discovered chia seeds from my cousin and within a week of using them, I was firming up.  The easiest way is to put a spoonful in your mouth and drink water.  I'd take 1-2 tablespoons full a couple of times a day.  I still take them when the water poop comes back.  Yes, it can be uncontrollable at night. 

Mostly, I stay on a maintenance dose of Flagyl... 250mg 3-4x a week.  I do use the Fish Zole.  My system doesn't do well with probiotics, after trying 5-6 different varieties.  I can never get past the 2-3 weeks of the gas that it causes.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

Tarragon
on 4/24/12 2:36 pm
Thank you!  I think I will try those chia seeds!  I have heard of them before but haven't had any since my DS.  Flagyl sounds worth trying too...
J G.
on 4/24/12 3:30 pm
Chris do you chew the chia seed when you put them  in your mouth with water, or just swallow?  I've got some that I ought to give a try...

When you tried the various probiotics did you give each a 2-3 week trial?  And were you taking Flagyl at the time?
Crazeru
on 4/24/12 3:57 pm
Hey Jenny,
I just swallow the seeds with the water.  I tried putting them in shakes, and they stuck to the sides, when I put them in a little shot glass with water, they stuck to the sides.   So now I just dump and drink them down.

I was on probiotics for the first 5 months before I started Flagyl.  I did try Custom Probiotics after the two Flagyl rounds.  The last one I tried was Primal Ultra Defense.  I couldn't even get a week, I was so bloated with gas and diarrhea only taking 1 a day.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

Most Active