Question about vitamins and Creon

Tarragon
on 4/24/12 4:39 am
My vitamin and mineral levels are all in the normal range, thanks to following Vitalady's recommendations and making minor modifications as needed.

However, I believe that the amounts of vitamins I'm taking now would be dangerous for someone with little or no malabsorption.  For example, I'm taking 225,000 IU of vitamin A per day (I had been taking 150,000/day but my levels were steadily falling and getting toward the abnormal range.) 

According to one web site, 15,000 to 25,000 IU retinol a day for adults (2,000 IU or more for children) may lead to liver damage, headache, vomiting, abnormal vision, constipation, hair loss, loss of appetite, low-grade fever, bone pain, sleep disorders, and dry skin and mucous membranes.

That's just one example. 

My worry is that since I'm taking Creon and absorbing way more protein, fats and carbs, I'm probably absorbing a lot more vitamins from my food as well. 

Should I stop taking them while on Creon?  Cut way down?  Or what?
MajorMom
on 4/24/12 5:34 am - VA
I think you might want to email Vitalady and ask her for some advice--your issues are pretty unique.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

J G.
on 4/24/12 2:39 pm

That's a really interesting question.  Please give us an update on what you find out. 

I was thinking that you could choose a few to use as "indicators" of how your absoption was functioning and have labs run on those few every 2 months.

tawny2112
on 4/25/12 12:47 am - Midwest City, OK
How much Creon are you on? Why do you take it? Have you ever been on TPN?
I ask these questions because I too take Creon.  I take 24,000 per meal/snack. 12,000 before the meal and 12,000 in the middle. I started taking this due to a bout of severe protein calorie malnutrition and was on TPN for 3 months. From what I understand unless you're taking the Creon with your vitamins too then your only absorbing so much of the vitamins. I would definatly talk with your doc before you quit taking anything.
Good luck
Tonya
WHY I CHOSE DS:  No dumping,Highest percentage of excess weight loss , Best long term results, Less weight regain, No band fills, Eat normal sized meals post op and won't regain weight,NO Band slippage,  No revisions, 96% diabetes cured, 90% high blood pressure cured 80% sleep apnea cured. My children. Myself.

Tarragon
on 4/25/12 1:15 am
I take two 24,000 unit capsules four times a day, or 192,000 units per day.  I'm on it for malnutritive wasting (losing too much weight.)  I don't know what TPN is.

Yes, I am taking Creon with vitamins, because I take vitamins with food, and Creon is to be taken with food.  However, Creon is time-release, so no matter when I take it, it's going to increase vitamin absorption from food as well as, I suppose, from vitamins.
tawny2112
on 4/25/12 1:41 am - Midwest City, OK
I was on TPN for pretty much the same reason you are. I wasn't absorbing anything and was wasting horribly. TPN is IV nutrition through a PICC line. They put me on Creon to aid in absorption with what I ate and increased it as I decreased my TPN. I no longer am on TPN, but I do take the Creon still. I would just monitor your labs and once they are stablized ask your doc if you can cut back some. Good Luck
Tonya
WHY I CHOSE DS:  No dumping,Highest percentage of excess weight loss , Best long term results, Less weight regain, No band fills, Eat normal sized meals post op and won't regain weight,NO Band slippage,  No revisions, 96% diabetes cured, 90% high blood pressure cured 80% sleep apnea cured. My children. Myself.

feeder3565
on 4/25/12 1:34 pm
I have been on creon for 4 years. Take them with snack and meals. Vit. A was harder that the others for me. It dropped right out ot the DS gate. I did the injections in the IM front leg, for 3 months and it did not raise infact in got lower. So endo put me on 100,000iu dry A . Another 100,000iu at night. Away form calcium and Iron. This works for me.

Most Active