Length of common channel

mleverts
on 4/23/12 9:48 am - KS
DS on 08/31/12
Things are progressing and I should be getting my surgery date as soon as they get the approval from my medicare supplement.  I have met with the surgeon and we are in agreement about the DS.  I have done my research and this is the surgery for me.  She intends to leave the common channel at 150 cm.  This is longer than I have read about.  My BMI is 43 and I need to lose about 100 to 110 lbs.  Will this work?  Any input will be appreciated.
nightowl
on 4/23/12 5:39 pm - Topeka, KS
Well, you have already heard from me :) , but I will post to bump your thread in hopes that you get more opinions.
MajorMom
on 4/23/12 7:18 pm - VA
It will probably work initially but you might have to work harder to keep the weight off long term. I was only 36.8 BMI to start and I have a 100cm common channel. I think I could have done just as well with 120cm but I'm starting to see that carbs will cause regain in a few years post-op. I haven't regained much but if I'm not careful I would be regaining right now at almost 5 years post-op. I would press her for 100cm common channel but that's just an opinion like everyone else's.

--g

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

mrsannie
on 4/23/12 8:55 pm
 I was about where you are with 100lbs to lose.  My surgeon usually did common channels at 75 cm but since I was a "lightweight" we decided that I should get a longer one at 100cm.  I wish I had asked for a longer one.  

Although it is not a guarantee, you can usually tolerate more foods with a longer cc.  People who have a longer cc, lose as much weight and seem happier in the long run.

I am not complaining don't get me wrong, but I can not eat wheat of any kind, no oats and limited potatoes and sugar.  Its tough, since a lot of foods are made with these.

Also the gas and the bathroom smells are quite unpleasant!!!

If I were you I would stay with the 150cc, I have heard from people who say at 150 they have lost as much weight and can maintain.  I wish I went longer.

Good luck!

Nothing will change if you don't have the courage to change it!
      And stop calling me "Shirley!"    
Nicolle
on 4/24/12 6:03 am
I had a BMI of 55.5 and my surgeon made my common channel 100.

I think it's perfect for me. I lost to goal easily (lost 190 pounds), take about 14 vites a day and I tolerate most foods, do not have much gas and my bowel movements are easy-breezy.

Nicolle

I had the kick-butt duodenal switch (DS)!

HW: 344 lbs      CW: 150 lbs

Type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea GONE!

walter A.
on 4/24/12 8:49 am - lafayette, NJ
 im very happy with my 200 cc,  it about the length you had to begin with vs the cc and your habits that is the key to the formula,  200cc is about 1/3 of my sm intestine overall.  if i had a 450 length then 150 cc would of been the right length, 
nightowl
on 4/24/12 12:42 pm - Topeka, KS
On the other end of the spectrum, I know of one woman *****grets going with Dr. Anthone, due to the long common channel he makes, and she said she had not made it out of the obese category even with low-carbing it and hard-core exercise.  And, another I recall had her surgery ~6 years ago with Dr. Marchesini, and got a 65 cm, and wishes it were 50cm, due to still fighting the weight.
mleverts
on 4/25/12 9:43 am - KS
DS on 08/31/12
Thanks for taking the time to respond. Your replies have been very helpful. I have contacted the surgeon's office to discuss this further.
STLfan
on 4/25/12 10:33 pm
Yes I have a very long CC of 250cm and it has worked great for me and it's length was based on a formula that Dr. Anthone uses. I like the fact that I can absorb more of the vitamins and proteins. I had a long small intestine of 715cm to begin with and my stomach was HUGE. My weight was all packed in internally and my belly was large. But I really didn't have and food issues other than volume so the longer CC worked for me. I talked at length with Dr. A and I decided on longer CC. If as commented a person had little weight loss because of the CC length one might wonder about the persons dedication to the life style of DS as many people get VSG and do well WITHOUT a change in their intestinal length. I am two years out and lost most of the extra weight in 6 months and have maintained my weight for that time.
Jeff                    
Most Active