CONSIDERING DS vs. VSG

missmachine
on 4/22/12 10:36 am, edited 4/22/12 10:46 am
RNY on 08/13/13

I am scheduled to have my surgery for the gastric sleeve in two months, but now I am considering switching to the DS surgery and I was wondering if you could tell me what you think.  I am starting to feel a bit concerned with if the sleeve is the right surgery for me. I am 250# and 5'3", I need to lose about 130 lbs.  When considering my eating habits, I am a volume eater for the most part, (although I do graze sometimes), but my biggest problem is when I have a meal, I really can't stop eating until I am STUFFED (like about to throw up). I am pretty numb to the "full" or "satisfied" feelings that normal people are supposed to have. I feel like my stomach is a bottomless pit; I never really feel full. I can eat a huge meal and then eat more in a half an hour after I don't need to throw up anymore. I don't know if even with a smaller stomach if I will know when to stop (or if i'll be able to stop) eating. I was considering switching to the DS surgery for more assistance. I do know that either way I will have to do some work on my own to make this weight loss happen. There have been times when I get really motivated and I am successful with dieting, but I never lose more than 50 lbs before starting to fail and regaining. This has made me feel like a complete failure in every attempt, and if I fail at this too I will hate myself and probably get worse. So that's why I am thinking about getting a more effective surgery (DS) instead, because it combines the smaller stomach with the bypass.  I know I am the one who is responsible for what goes in my mouth, but I really feel POWERLESS around food. :( Or is this all normal for an obese person?

So based on what I am saying, do you guys think that I need DS, or will the sleeve be good enough for me?  The DR recommended the sleeve because (he said) I am young (31), and I don't have any co-morbidities.  However, I did not tell him all of that yet^^^.  The sleeve would be more affordable for me and is in my price range (I am self-paying).

larra
on 4/22/12 11:10 am - bay area, CA
I don't think the issue is whether or not you would lose weight. I think you will lose with either operation. The real question is what happens when your sleeve stretches out a few years down the line - and it will, no matter how small it is initially made. That's when the big value of the DS kicks in, because it causes both permanent malabsorption and metabolic changes that you don't get with the sleeve.
     Some surgeons are making the sleeve very narrow when it's a stand alone, but too narrow causes more risk of stricture and leaks, and if these occur, there isn't much stomach left to work with. And we don't know, yet, if a narrower sleeve will solve the weight regain problem that has been seen with the 3-4 oz sleeve, or just postpone it.
      Are there successful people with the sleeve? Absolutely. But I very much doubt the longterm results will ever compare with the DS, anymore than the longterm results of RNY compare with the DS.

Larra
Valerie G.
on 4/23/12 2:51 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
Well put, Larra

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

biggeekgirl
on 4/23/12 4:14 am
 I agree with Larra.  

I am 7 years out and a bottomless pit.... I am maintaining as well as I am because of the malabsorption not stomach size.  

I can eat an 8" Jimmy Johns sandwich and chips in 10 minutes and 15 minutes after that be ready for another sanwhich (and eat it!).   

**please don't live by my example.  Most days I eat much better than multiple Jimmy John sandwiches.

If you want to be successful and are ready for a lifestyle change do the DS.

Cindy

Surgery on 4/25/05 , Dr. Alverdy in Chicago.  God Bless the DS !!!
Highest Weight = 412lbs, Surgery Weight = 359lbs, Current Weight = 155lbs (5'7" tall)http://www.picturetrail.com/gid8138761
 Lilypie

Valerie G.
on 4/25/12 9:35 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
Daaayyyum, Cindy -- another Sammy in 10 min??
I can finish a Guido, extra drippy, no problem, but I get the cookie to eat afterwards.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Nicolle
on 4/24/12 6:00 am
Oh you'll lose the weight with either surgery. Just ask yourself how long you'd like to keep it off and what you're willing and able to do to keep it off. If you're honest with yourself, I bet you'll see the DS gives you the best chance of mainatinaing that weight loss with theb least amount of effort.

Nicolle

I had the kick-butt duodenal switch (DS)!

HW: 344 lbs      CW: 150 lbs

Type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea GONE!

Most Active