Just exercise she says.....

ajrober2
on 4/22/12 11:30 pm - Houston, TX
DS on 11/01/12
So I went to my bank on Saturday to discuss why they wouldn't give me a loan.  The skinny banker asked me what was I trying to get.  I told her bariatric surgery.  At first she tried to act like she cared.  But when she told me her fiance lost a significant amount of weight by just going to the gym and not eating so much, I knew which way the conversation was headed.  She then stated she was sorry they couldn't give me the loan but I "really should just exercise".  I said "I tried that" but it's like she couldn't hear me at all.  I had to just interrupt her and say thank you for your time. 

It seems that because I'm fat, people automatically look at me and think I'm a couch potato who sits and eats all day every day hoping for a magical surgery.  Overweight does not automatically = lazy, and certainly not STUPID. 

Between that and the usual insensitive comments from a couple of family members, I was very disturbed and discouraged this weekend.  But after going to church Sunday I now feel so much better.  God has a way of shining on us when we need it most.

Thanks for reading my little rant.  Best wishes to all!

abe
larra
on 4/23/12 12:28 am - bay area, CA
They say that prejudice against fat people has become the last "acceptable" prejudice - not that there isn't still prejudice against various racial and religious groups, there sure is, it just isn't as acceptable as it used to be. And some people seem to feel so free to make nasty or insensitive comments about someone else's appearance. Sad.
      Even many medical people still don't get that once someone is MO, the chances that diet and exercise will provide significant permanent weight loss are about 4%. So many people who could benefit from bariatric surgery will never hear about it from theier doctors, or will have to fight just for a referral.
     I'm glad you were able to find peace. Just don't let this stuff prevent you from moving forward with your plans.

Larra
Valerie G.
on 4/23/12 2:46 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
Well, Abe, God does have a way of healing the soul, but I would still be calling the bank manager about the insensitive way you were treated at the bank.  Let them hear the rant.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

AundreaSmith
on 4/23/12 3:40 am - Caledonia, MI
DS on 03/12/12
Hang in there, Abe.  I am pretty sure we have all been there with the insensitive remarks and cruelty that people dish out.  Your not alone.

I agree withe Valerie, I'd call the bank and let the bank Manager know about the rudeness of the teller.  She has NO right to even ASK you what the loan is for, it's irrelevant to the loan process unless you are buying a house, car or boat (asset).  Personal loans are just that, PERSONAL.

Hang in there...

HW: 404/ SW: 380/  GW: 155

determineddanni
on 4/23/12 8:02 am

I am very angry with this banker, so with that said I am going to try to keep this short so I don't rant.

First I would like to say... she is a banker...she is not a healthcare provider. She has no ruling in your healthcare or to give it any type of direction. She has no say or determination in any shape or form wether this surgery is right for you or not. She does have authority to authorize loans. Period. She should not put her own personal medical advice as a decision maker! I would call up the manager and stress how badly you were treated. I would also stress that she should not be passing this type of judgement of heavier people.

Secondly...if you have the means and the credit score to take out this loan then i dont' see any reason why you should be denied to get a loan. If you have all your duckies in a row I would highly stress to the manager that this is BS and discrimination.

Stay strong and don't take ****! Fight for yourself and you will come out on top:)

HW 259          SW 256          CW 141       GW 150

nightowl
on 4/23/12 5:32 pm - Topeka, KS
Wowza, sorry you faced that.  If it really is affordable for you to take on this much debt, I imagine there are lots of other banks that would like to have your business.
Most Active