Question about Recovery...

TravelingMomofTwo
on 4/21/12 8:21 am
 I know this varies tremendously between people but, two questions:

1) could I go on vacation 2-3 weeks after DS surgery, assuming its lapascropic? I wouldn't drive, and ride would be about 6 hrs. We could take frequent breaks, and can be flexible. It would be a relaxing beach vacation...walking boardwalk, sitting at beach maybe a day, etc. 

2) and how soon could I go back to work 1-2 days a week, on a desk job. I could be flexible with days, hours, etc. It would be mostly phone and email, with paperwork....I know someone would have to drive me. 

Im a teacher so I'm trying to time things (if they work out that way with the surgeon, insurance, etc)....

Thanks so much!

DS Surgery Date Scheduled for July!

HW: 277

MajorMom
on 4/21/12 8:29 pm - VA
All I can tell you is what my experience was. I went back to work 1/2 days after 2 weeks. The 1st week was ok but my bathroom issues needed me to be home in the middle of the day. It got better soon after. By week 4, I was back full-time.

The vacation sounds wonderful and I would have done that in a heart beat.

--g

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

TravelingMomofTwo
on 4/22/12 2:33 am
Thanks for your response. I know it varies but I'm trying to get some real idea of how I'll feel. All I've had was a c-section and I wasn't sure how that compared... I wonder how it compares to a gall bladder, c-section, or a gastric bypass surgery??

We booked the vacation before we knew I was going to pursue this surgery or I wouldn't have done it during this summer.

It's nice to know I could probably go back to work part-time when I return from vacation too...assuming my recover is like yours and I don't have additional side effects, etc.

Anyone else have any thoughts? So many questions swirling in my head!!

NoMore B.
on 4/22/12 4:24 am
 Prior to my DS I had surgery a few times - a gallbladder removal, and ectopic pregnancy, and an open hysterectomy.  By far the DS was the toughest recovery.

By a few weeks out, you will definitely be up and about walking - but you will be very tired.  So you might technically be able to do it, but I dont think you'll enjoy yourself as much.

The other thing to consider is that some complications might not show themselves that quickly.  You really are at higher risk for things like blood clots for about 30 days after surgery.  You have to decide if being that far away from your surgeon so early out is what you want.  Also, with the risk of blood clots it will be essential that you stop frequently on that 6 hour car trip and get out and walk around.

Also if your vacation is a non refundable type thing, you really dont know how you'll feel or what complications you might have, however unlikely, until you go through it.

For me, I wouldn't do it - but it's your decision.  I think you "could" do it in terms of you shouldn't be bed-ridden and in pain, but the question you'll have to answer for youself is "should" you do it.
TravelingMomofTwo
on 4/22/12 4:48 am
 Thanks. I appreciate the honesty. I do not yet have a date scheduled but just need to think ahead, ya know? The trip is scheduled, so the family is going whether I do or not. I don't even know if I'll be able to schedule it on 'my preferred schedule'. I also need to plan it around work so just trying to think it all through...

AundreaSmith
on 4/22/12 5:16 am - Caledonia, MI
DS on 03/12/12
I will be 6 weeks out tomorrow and I still fatigue rather quickly.  I am positive that I wouldn't have really enjoyed a vacation 2-3 weeks post surgical.  I couldn't lay down in bed for over 4 weeks and I was sleeping in a Laz-E-boy for the majority of the night before getting in bed and being propped up with a wedge and pillows. 

The pain wasn't horrible at 2-3 weeks, however I just didn't feel great.  I was nauseated, esophageal spasms, exhausted and really had to force myself to eat and drink anything. 

If it was me, I would take the vacation first, enjoy yourself (eat, drink and be merry) and then come home and have the procedure. 

I wish you the best!

HW: 404/ SW: 380/  GW: 155

AundreaSmith
on 4/22/12 5:20 am - Caledonia, MI
DS on 03/12/12
PS...I had 2 c-sections and my gallbladder out and this by far was the most painful of the 3.  Don't get me wrong, you can get comfortable and relatively pain free.  It's the little things that hurt, going to the bathroom, standing for any amount of time, bending over, reaching for things, showering, etc.  Because the incisions are scattered all over your abdomen and the two on the right side of my abdomen were especially sore.

HW: 404/ SW: 380/  GW: 155

Valerie G.
on 4/22/12 5:23 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
I was very listless for 4-5 weeks, so IMO, do vacation first, then DS.  I'm not going to all the expense of vacation where I couldn't fully enjoy myself. 

How you return to work depends on how you want to be perceived.  Do you want to be coddled and thought of as weak, or would you prefer to hit the ground running and be "tough as nails" in their eyes.  The preference depends on the environment, and I chose the latter and took a full 8 weeks off, then never turned back.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

MARTINA P.
on 4/23/12 8:18 am - ROCKMART, GA
 My experience have been that complications could show up around the time you plan for vacation.  Your energy level will be low.  A complication to think about is obstruction.
MARTINA
Rockmart Georgia                        
HW: 315 CW: 117 GW:  First goal 150 met 3/23/2012, Second goal 135

Most Active