In the second week of my 7 WEEK pre-op liquid diet!!!!!!!!!!!!

classeylady1962
on 4/21/12 3:19 pm - beaver creek, MN
RNY on 05/29/12
 Your welcome,,we can all use a friend and a sholder to lean on. Hang in there!!! 
Crazeru
on 4/20/12 5:16 am
I don't think I've read anything from other DSers that their DS surgeon had them on a 7 week liquid diet.  If you are having the DS, please find a "real" DS surgeon.  Look on dsfacts.com and there is a list of DS surgeons at www.duodenalswitch.com/surgeons.html

Go back and reread Larra's msg, she's spot on and she's a vet.  She helped me get my DS 4 years ago. 

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

afoster1
on 4/20/12 8:08 am, edited 4/20/12 8:08 am - Las Vegas, NV
My heart goes out to you.  I know it's tough, but I'm somewhat concerned about the dr
because I've never heard of him before. PLEASE make sure that he is a dr that
has done SUCCESSFUL DS surgeries in the past. If I were you, I would check the
dsfacts.com website and choose one of the surgeons from there.

Has he really done successful DS surgeries or does he just SAY he does the surgery. 
Please check, check, and double check.

YOUR LIFE IS TOO IMPORTANT TO TRUST IT TO SOMEONE THAT MAY NOT BE
QUALIFIED TO DO THIS TYPE OF SURGERY.

7 weeks really sounds like a long time and you will be in my prayers for a successful surgery
with a vetted DS surgeon.   If you pick the best surgeon, you'll get the best surgery.

Trust me, this surgery is so worth it, but make sure you're making the right choice along
the way as well as to WHO will be doing it on you.

There's just too much at stake otherwise.

Take care
Berta

We are, each of us angels with only one wing; and we can only fly by embracing one another.
Crazeru
on 4/20/12 9:31 am
I can't find anything about your surgeon that says he does the DS.  Who did he proctor under?  There are several RNY/Gastric Bypass surgeons that say they do the DS, but then you end up with a RNY or ERNY.  We call those surgeons "Bait and Don't Switch" as they don't know how to do the DS and it's faster for them to do a RNY on you.

I'd want to question him as to how many DS surgeries he's done, if there have been any problems, talk to some of the patients.  How is their eating and weight loss etc.

Not trying to be difficult, but a few folks have gone to doctors that have convinced them that they can do the surgery and have almost died.

Dr. Hosein Yasrebi MD practices general surgery in Jacksonville, Florida.

Care Philosophy:

As a surgeon specializing in gastric bypass for more than 28 years, I have a strong dedication to all my patients. I take time to treat my patients with kindness and believe a surgeon should be a perfectionist and available for patients 24 hours a da ...
More Specialties: Procedures Performed:
  • Gastric Bypass
  • Abdominoplasty (Tummy Tuck)
Conditions Treated:
  • Obesity

State License:

• Florida

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

bigben
on 4/20/12 10:51 am - durham, NC
DS on 01/27/12
 Hang in there!  I had the same issue, liver was too big.  The liquid diet part was most definately the hardest part of this whole process.  I took it one day at a time, keep visualizing the final goal, I'm 3 month post op and my life has already changed for the better so much.  Looking back at it, it was well worth the effort and a small price to pay considering.  Also looking back, the liquid diet sort of jumpstarted the whole weight loss process.  A necessary step, how else are you going to shrink your liver? And you want to give the surgeon the best working condition possible, a big liver in the middle of the surgery area isn't very helpful, surgeons work better without distraction and inconvieniences.

Good luck, be strong.
bigben
on 4/20/12 10:58 am - durham, NC
DS on 01/27/12
Also, try not to pay too much attention to people who give you medical advice, or are saying they never heard of this and that and it should be like that...etc.

Your surgeon knows better, only listen to proffesionals that you have met in person face to face when it comes to medical advice and don't let internet self proclaimed bariatric experts influence your decisions.  Everyone has a different experience, making yours a positive one is very important.
seananc
on 4/20/12 12:06 pm - Fernandina Beach, FL
DS on 07/23/12
Thanks!  My surgeon is the head of the University Weightloss division and he has done over 1200 surgeries and I have met and have developed friendships with over 35 DS patients!  He has done over 100 DS in the last 5 years! He has Never lost one patient!! He comes highly recommended by other surgeons in the area that thought I was too big for them to handle! The surgeon that I have listed was the surgeon that turned me down last fall and I do not know how to list my new surgeon.  My Hospital is a CES (Center of Excellence) and the Surgeon is rated one also, by the state and my insurance company GEHA! 

I appreciate the concern and that is why I am here. Larra and all the other people on this site really do care and I am so grateful that I have all of you to ask these questions. I am not upset or aggrevated by the questions, because I know how serious this is and I have been researching this since 2008.

The truth is i was almost 600lbs and I was not going to see another bday!  I had high blood pressure type 2 diabetes, adema in the legs and much more! Since I started losing the weight I have gotten my Blood sugars levels under control and started to stabalize my BP.  MMy swelling is gone (except the fat).

My PCP along with the bariatric surgeon started working with me in January and yes it is aggressive, but I am trying to save my life! I get up at 4am and go to my local YMCA and workout for an hour and then i come home and do a protein shake with half a banana ten i am off for my 1 mile walk.  I then come home do some light weights and some core work as best i can at my size.  I have 4 sahkes a day.  I do this 6-7 days a week NO JOKE!  it is hard and some days I feel like i want to give up, then i remember how i started and could not do anything and i look at where i am at now and i say wow!

My family, friends and my community are so supportive, because they have watched me grow up and get bigger! i celebrated my 40th bday last month and i want many more! I lost my older sister who was 5 years older than me due to weight related issues. she was urged to have the procedure and was too afraid and we as her family did not know enough and we did encourage her. After her shocking death in 2008 (June) I immediately started researching for myself. So I have been to 9 different seminars by surgeons all over the area from all major hospitals and medical practices and have state of florida medical board reports on all!! 

So I thank all of you because i love the comments, because i know you care!!!  I still hope you ask more and keep asking because that is how you learn and I REALLY DO APPRECIATE IT!!!!  You all have no idea how much Ihave learned from this site and that is why i joined and I soooo hapy to be here!

Thanks,
Sean
SA
merrymorris
on 4/21/12 7:43 am - philadelphia, PA
DS on 04/26/12
Well, we are rooting for you and praying for you!! You can do it and I am so proud of you for what you have accomplished so far!!
seananc
on 4/21/12 9:46 am - Fernandina Beach, FL
DS on 07/23/12
SA
zix
on 4/21/12 8:46 am - PA
DS on 02/13/12
 Hi Sean - you can change who your surgeon is by going to MY OH at the bar at the top of the page, then click My Surgeries.
I'm glad you realize everyone's concern is just because we want to make sure you have a great outcome! :)
Most Active