In the second week of my 7 WEEK pre-op liquid diet!!!!!!!!!!!!

seananc
on 4/19/12 5:56 am - Fernandina Beach, FL
DS on 07/23/12
I pray for strength everyday!
SA
merrymorris
on 4/19/12 6:00 am, edited 4/19/12 6:01 am - philadelphia, PA
DS on 04/26/12
Oh good heavens!  7 weeks?!!! I was nervous about the 5 days I have to do before surgery. God bless you!
seananc
on 4/19/12 6:02 am - Fernandina Beach, FL
DS on 07/23/12
Thanks!!!! It is hard, but the end result will be so worth it!
MajorMom
on 4/19/12 8:03 am - VA
That is a long time. I'll be praying for you too.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

He who can't be Named
on 4/19/12 1:22 pm
Wow, that's the longest liquid diet I've heard of. One thing that helped me deal with the deprivation, was just knowing it was temporary, and reminding myself that. When I dieted before, it was harder because some foods would remain taboo for life, but when I was just abstaining for surgery, it was easier to abstain just knowing that I would be allowed to have it again in the future.

I'm sending all my willpower your way, because I'm certainly not making good use of it.

Some times dingle berries are the lowest hanging fruit.  
larra
on 4/20/12 12:35 am - bay area, CA
I'm confused, which is not unusual, but...

You are posting on the DS forum. And of course you are very welcome here! But your surgeon doesn't do the DS, so I'm confused about what operation you are having. And if it's something other than the DS, I'm confused about that as well, because with you having a very high bmi, the DS is far and away your best choice.
     The DS has the best statistics for percentage excess weight loss, for maintainence of that weight loss, and for resolution of almost all comorbidities. It also has the most normal post-op diet, as you can eat protein and fat freely, whereas with gastric bypass you must limit calories, fat, and carbs for life. Weight regain is a major problem with gastric bypass that isn't discussed enough. And as far as lap band goes, let's not even go there, the results are so poor.
     Overall the failure rate for gastric bypass is about 30%, higher for people with a bmi over 50. And keep in mind that "success" means losing just 50% of your excess weight. So you could lose 51% of your excess weight, still be MO, and be counted as a "success".
      I looked up your surgeon. He does not do the DS. In fact, there is presently no one in your state who does the DS, so you would need to travel, but in the long run, it would be well worth the effort. And really, that's what this surgery is all about. Morbid obesity is a chronic, lifelong medical problem. Something that works short term but not longterm is pointless, IMHO.
     And 7 weeks of liquid diet?? That's not just not done by the overwhelming majority of bariatric surgeons, it's just plain mean.
     I would strongly recommend that you consider the DS and learn more about it. The dsfacts.com website has lots of great info, including a list of experienced DS surgeons. It is absolutely not too late for you to look again at your choice of operations and your choice of surgeons and change your plans. The effort will be worth it.

Larra
seananc
on 4/20/12 6:05 am - Fernandina Beach, FL
DS on 07/23/12
I am having the Ds surgery.  I was soooo large I had to lose a tremendous amount of weight.  He is very qualified and it took me two years to find him.  Ultrasounds and xrays revealed that my liver is too big and i need to lose more weight!  I have been doing well since december 2011.  I have lost 50+ lbs!  he works with along with his dietician.  I can email or call her night or day and she changes my diet as my weight and needs change.  The liquid diet is not that bad (don't get me wrng, its no fun), but i am willing to do whatever ittakes to get my weight down!!!
SA
larra
on 4/20/12 9:32 am - bay area, CA
While I don't necessarily agree with the pre-op requirement, I certainly admire you for your determination and the hard work you are doing. And the DS is your best choice by far, so I'm glad that's what you've decided on.
     My biggest concern remains whether or not you have found a real DS surgeon. I've been on this forum for over 6 years and have never before heard of him, ever. I checked his page on this website and he doesn't list the DS as an operation that he does. Now sometimes surgeons will list operations they don't really do, or have done only once or twice, as if they do everything, but for a surgeon to fail to list an operation he really does do would not be good advertising and does not make sense. 
    Please ask him how many DS's he has actually done, and don't accept anything less than a straight answer. I'm concerned that you will go in for your DS, wake up with something else, and be told that because of your weight, or your liver, or whatever, it just wasn't possible, when the real reason may be that he is inexperienced with this operation so he fell back on whatever he usually does, most likely gastric bypass. These operations are quite different, different to live with and also different in terms of results. 
     So I'm cautioning you again, while your surgeon may be an experienced bariatric surgeon, I do not believe  he is an experienced DS surgeon, and he may do the DS rarely, if at all. Get more information so you can make an informed decision, and if he's not experienced with the DS, either that is acceptable to you or you need to look elsewhere. 

Larra

classeylady1962
on 4/20/12 1:27 am - beaver creek, MN
RNY on 05/29/12
 congratulations on your journey thus far. If you are like most of us on this site we have had to fight to get this far. I realize that your liquid diet if for quite a long time but i am guessing your doctor has a reason for the length of your diet. Trust that he knows what he is doing and that it will help you and your surgery outcome. I can only imagine how hard it is for you. Keeping busy may help Go to the park, visit with friends, come to this site and look at before and after pics,,,anything to keep your mind off of food. Keep in mind that the prize isnt far away,,,your surgery!!!!  I believe in you,,you can do this. Don't let food beat you. I will be praying for you too.  
seananc
on 4/20/12 11:21 am - Fernandina Beach, FL
DS on 07/23/12
Thank YOU!!!! That is what I wanted to hear!!!:)
SA
Most Active