Insulin dependence post DS

logle2
on 4/19/12 1:39 am - Wappingers Falls, NY

I had my DS in 2004/2005 and have not had to take insulin since.  Untill now...has anyone else had a similar experience I lost 210 lbs and have kept off 190 of it.  I had a bout of severe anemia which I'm being treated for. I was in Ketoacidosis at the time of my diagnosis my bloog sugar over 700 which is why the hospitalist put me on insulin.  I am seeing an endocrinologist today to try and figure out whats going on with me.  I really don't want to be insulin dependent again

southernlady5464
on 4/19/12 4:14 am
I know of one DS'er (NOT on OH) who had her DS several years ago, got off insulin and ended up back on...she discovered she was a LADA not a type 2.  LADA defined: http://forecast.diabetes.org/magazine/features/other-diabete s-lada-or-type-15

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

LosingSally
on 4/19/12 2:07 pm
Insulin resistence may or may not return. If you have LADA, which those who are not overweight, and become diabetic later in life can be diagnosed with, treatment with insulin is the best treatment.
It's nothing you did wrong, regain of only 20 lbs didn't do it. It's either genetic, or auto-immune based with an unknown origin.
Keep up the good work, and at least losing a ton of weight isn't going to be a problem as you work with your diabetes battle.
If your body makes any insulin, you may benefit by trying Victoza, if your doctor feels it may help you. It increases the insulin production while slowing the transit through your system of the foods you eat, so carbs don't cause any sudden highs, and you feel full for hours.
My daughter, who has LADA type1.5 ( after treating for type 2 for a few years) is now using Victoza and a small amount of insulin, and has excellent control.
Best wishes, please let us know how you're doing.
Herman
on 4/20/12 11:17 am
 I'm wondering if you have read any of this. After I read your post and you talked about Victoza, I came across this.
http://diabetes.webmd.com/news/20120420/consumer-group-to-fd a-take-victoza-off-market
LosingSally
on 4/20/12 3:44 pm
I believe the risk of pancreatitis is an early one, meaning it should show up within the first weeks, if at all.
The thyroid connection isn't established, and regular testing should detect any problems there.
The question would be if works without causing serious side effects.
I used Avandia, as did my daughter, and we suffered with congestive heart failure as a result. So I'm not blind to possible side effects from a diabetes drug.
My daughter's enzymes remain normal and her control of her glucose levels is excellent.
I think it would be up to any patient to decide what risk she/he is willing take on to be able to take a drug that makes A1c normal. And this drug helps with weight loss.
The older drug Byetta is also a GLP1 agonist and has been used for years.
Research, risk, and outcome counts here.
To each his own.
blondee02
on 4/20/12 11:18 pm - Hickory Corners, MI
Pancreas problems can cause high blood sugars.. blondee
Most Active