Life Insurance Post DS

dfw-ds
on 4/18/12 5:25 am - Keller, TX
Hello All,

I have been trying to get Life Insurance through Prudential for about 6 months now.  They are clueless about the D.S.  Asking many questions about the Malabsorbtion issue even after its been answered again and again.  Dr. Rabkin was kind enough to write a letter to them explaining the procedure and its benefits, and still they ask uninformed questions.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to which companies might be more knowledgeable about the DS?

Thanks!!

Steve

I'm 2.5 years out

Pre Surgery weight:  320
Post Surgery weight:  180
Valerie G.
on 4/18/12 9:29 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA
I'm far enough out now that the question about prior surgeries is out of that window.   How many years back does that question ask? 

In fact, I was so darned healthy, that my current life insurance company cut me a check to refund the premium I paid...because I qualified for the super-cheap-super-healthy discount.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

dfw-ds
on 4/18/12 11:55 pm - Keller, TX
Hi Valerie,

Thanks for the feedback.

If I may, which insurance company are you with?
Valerie G.
on 4/19/12 1:14 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
I think it's Lincoln, however I'd have to check at home to be sure.  I believe their questions go back 2-5 years.  Now, if you have the opportunity to get insurance through your employer, that's the way to go.  You may not be able to get more than $200k (or whatever the cap is before they make you do the questionerre), but you can get something. 

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

rebecca W.
on 4/20/12 2:58 pm - KY
I had no problem getting life insurance (,whole life)or (term) I got my choice but I had to wait  1 year post op. My insurance for  whole life wasn,t that much now that I,m healthier. I believe its $76.00 a month,and I,m 52. I believe the coverage is 50,000.  Hope this helps.
(deactivated member)
on 5/1/12 4:57 pm
 Dfw, you could try looking at an aggregator website like AccuQuote.com. Because the agents deal with so many high volume applications out there, there's a larger likelihood that you'll find answers for such a specific procedure as well as help on how to find the best life insurance company to provide for your needs. Life insurance quotes online on AccuQuote may also be able to help you save some money on your annual premium depending on the history of your procedure and health. Try it out; it won't hurt to look!

Pat Cassidy
Disclaimer: I work for AccuQuote and this is my personal opinion.

Most Active