Why should I NOT do the DS in your opinion???

TravelingMomofTwo
on 4/18/12 1:48 am
 Let me explain a little...after doing tons of research, I'm liking the idea of the DS.  There seems to be so much research on the fact that DS'ers typically maintain the weight loss long-term, the surgery with an experienced center and surgeon seems to be as safe as the gastric bypass, and while there is more risk of malabsorption, IF you follow prescribed vitamin and protein recommendations, it appears to be minimal. What am I missing? Why wouldn't everyone jump on board with this procedure??

Is it much more riskier than the GP? Are the side effects worse?  What am I missing? I want to be well informed and not go in blindly...

Thanks!

DS Surgery Date Scheduled for July!

HW: 277

Valerie G.
on 4/18/12 1:57 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
I think it's more of a personality thing.  Because so few medical professionals truly embrace what we require to stay healthy along the lines of nutrition, we have to have the drive to find out what we need on our own and be confident enough to argue why we need it to those unknowing medical professionals. 

Back when I had mine, some surgeons were still telling their DS patients to take a few Flintstones and tums.  My surgeon wasn't one of them, however her intial recommendations were far less than par, too. 

If you're meek, don't want to take the time to research and open up to new ideas about staying healthy, and want a simple instruction booklet and a one-stop-shop for surgeon/nutritionist/ everyone who knows everything about your body - DONT get the DS.  You will forever be put into that "wls" generalization and they will treat you like RNY and many docs don't care to learn about the difference.  You have to be pushy about it and insist that you're different, and you'd damned better know why and how, because you need to explain it to some of them.

Other than that - I can't think of a reason not to have it.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

(deactivated member)
on 4/18/12 3:36 am
Good luck finding someone on this board trying to talk you out of it :)

That being said:

1 - Don't get the DS if you can't be compliant with protein, vitamins, labs.  It's a strong WLS and you have to commit for the long term.  Too often people fall into this trap.  Now, this is true for all surgeries, but particularly for the DS.

2 - Pick a surgeon that actually PERFORMS the DS.  And has done it.  A lot.

On the flip side, I came to a similar conclusion after researching, actually seeing Lap Band and RNY surgeons....once I learned about the DS, I couldn't imagine doing anything else.

So, I followed my instincts - have been living with the DS for almost 7 years.  I would do it again, tomorrow, if I had to.  Thankfully, because I made the best choice for me, I won't have to.

Good luck.  (check out www.dsfacts.com - it's a must read for anyone considering the DS).

Sharon
beemerbeeper
on 4/18/12 6:31 am - AL
A person can kill themselves faster with the DS.  But they kill themselves with the RnY too.

A person who can't or won't do their own research and who needs a "doctor" to tell them what to do should not have the DS.  They can get mostly correct advice about how to not kill themselves with the Rny, but most people with the DS find that doctors and surgeons would kill us if we followed their advice.

So while the DS is still hard to get, people who self-select for it tend to be researchers who will also research what they need to do to be healthy. with the DS.

When the DS is offered to someone who doesn't do their own research, then that person is in a world of trouble.

The reason why it is less often done is another subject.  But the answer is one word so I'll share it lol:

MONEY.

~Becky

(deactivated member)
on 4/18/12 8:01 am - Reeseville, WI
I've said this before.  My surgeon told me that people who insist on a DS are typically more intelligent patients. You are researching and seem intelligent to me.  I see no reason not to go with the DS.  I'd do it again if I had to. 
H.A.L.A B.
on 4/18/12 8:36 am
Do not get DS if you do not like to eat fat and fatty things. (i.e butter, bacon,  cream, avocado)
If you do not like meat and proteins (veggies and fruits only diet may kill you after DS)
If you are not smart enough to be your own advocate re blood work and follow up tests.
If you insist on eating simple carbs.....

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Heather E.
on 4/18/12 11:43 am
I didn't read everyone else's responses before I wrote this, so sorry if I'm repeating.

One of the biggest problems is that there are relatively very few surgeons who perform the DS *competently*.  The "competently" part is huge - if you have ever read any of the DS-gone-wrong stories here on OH, it's typically due to someone going to a surgeon who doesn't know what the hell they're doing.   But even taking out that "competently" part - there are still very few surgeons who do the DS.  Why?  It takes a lot of training.  Training equals time and money.  Pretty self-explanatory there.

A lot of insurance companies still don't cover the DS.  Or, if they DO cover it, they pay surgeons the same amount of money that they pay out for them to do an RNY, which is a much shorter and less-complicated surgery...so again...money.

There is the education factor.  Virtually everyone has heard of the lapband or the gastric bypass...when I tell anyone that I had the duodenal switch done, they're like, "WTF is that???"  They've never heard of it.  If you don't know something exists, how are you going to know to ask for it?

An important part of the education factor is the many misconceptions that are spread about the DS:  that we are super-malabsorbers who are in a constant state of malnutrition despite taking a hundred vitamins every single day and we **** ourselves silly.  People are willing to believe anything they read/hear without fully investigating the truth behind those statements.  When I was in the research phase of my WLS journey, I spoke to a lot of different DSers, both here on OH and also in real life.  I got a really good idea of what life was really like with the DS.  I also was fortunate enough to be friends with a couple of RNYers and a lapbander, so I knew what life was like for them post-op.  After all of my research, I was much more ready to live the life of a DSer than I was the other two.  Am I malnourished?  Nope, I'm healthier than I've ever been in my life.  Do I take a hundred vitamins a day?  Nope, I take about thirty, but that's based upon what my own lab results say I need to be taking, which is what everyone should base their vitamin supplementation on.  Do I **** myself silly?  Nope - I'm actually more regular now than I was pre-op, and sometimes I even get a bit constipated because of my iron and calcium supplementation. 

What I say to everyone who asks me about my surgery is that I wouldn't change the choice I made for anything.  And that's the honest truth.   The DS isn't for everyone, even if it does statistically have the best long-term results.  If you can't afford the vitamins or don't want to be burdened with monitoring your labs closely and supplementing accordingly, then this is not the surgery for you.  If you can't advocate for your own health, this surgery is not for you - what that means is that the majority of health care providers you are going to come in contact with will not know a damn thing about the DS, so you have to teach them and make them understand.  And if they're unteachable or unwilling to learn, then you have to find new ones...period.  If you aren't willing to make modifications to your diet (which really is a requirement of any of the WLS types), like getting in 120g of protein or more a day and limiting your carbs, then the DS isn't for you.  From my standpoint:  the DS is the easiest "diet" I've ever been on.  I lost weight effortlessly.  I met my goal at only 9 months out from surgery.  Even after two years out, I can still lose weight without even trying, although I know it isn't always going to be that effortless.  I am now lactose intolerant, which sometimes kind of sucks, but it is manageable.  If I over-do it on carbs, I get really gassy and can feel pretty miserable.  It keeps me in check, though.  I take my vitamins, I drink my protein shakes, I try to eat a fairly healthy diet but don't deprive myself of the things that I like, I get my labs done and keep up on my health status...I'm a happy camper and I love my DS.

~Heather~

HW: 249/ CW: 130/ GW: 140

MsBatt
on 4/18/12 12:43 pm
Like everyone else has said, the primary reason for someone to NOT get the DS is the inability or the unwillingness to think for yourself.

That does NOT seem to apply to you. (*grin*)
Katester
on 4/19/12 1:32 am
I wanted the RNY and my surgeon talked me out of it and into the band. Once I realized how many problems the MAJORITY of banded people were having and then watching 2 banded co-workers vomit in the bathroom and not lose weight I quickly changed my mind. Then I found out about the sleeve and the DS. My surgeon was new to the sleeve world ( i was his 25th sleeve) and did not do the DS. The closest one to me at the time was in chicago I believe and I couldn't travel that far...I opted to have the sleeve and still wonder almost 2 years later if I would have done "better" with the DS. I lost from 276 down to 150 in 8 months and had my 5 lb "bounce back". I maintain between 152-155 now and I'm THRILLED about it. My surgeon set a goal of 131 lbs. I'm 5'7 and still think I should weight what he says I should. In the back of my mind, I feel like I "failed" because I never made it to his goal..oh well.
bottom line is, do the DS--I wish I would have. It would get rid of alot of the doubts I have about regaining and maintaining (even though I have done a good job maintaining so far...**knock on wood**
LosingSally
on 4/19/12 2:18 pm
One thing you should know is that GP and DS can both result in Metabolic Bone Desease.
Taking calcium with vit D will help, along with frequent labs. Sometimes the vitamins ( ADEK, Iron for many, get a checklist so you will know what to take) are expensive.
If you can't keep up with the vitamins, or afford them, think about it before surgery. After is too late, and you will have to get them and take them properly. Many people here can help if you need vitamin advice.
Best wishes.
Most Active