bad breath

margie-2914
on 4/16/12 9:55 am

I need some advice I am 1 1/2 yrs post op. and I had the most horrible day today at work,  as I was leaving work my boss asked to talk to me in her offfice.  I went in and she said that she got a complanint about my bad breath.  I immediatly started crying and explained to her it is from my surgery and I constantly chew gum suck on mints, sometimes it helps and sometimes it doesn't  and the worst thing is I cannot smell my own breath so I dont know when it is bad.  I feel so embaressed and dont even want to go to work tomarrow! Does anyone have advice on what i can do or take to help this bad breath problem???? 

galla1
on 4/16/12 11:27 am
 Sorry no advice.. I'm in the same boat!! Will eagerly be waiting to see what others say!!
Chicarita
on 4/16/12 1:00 pm
It doesn't work for everyone, but Smart Mouth or Smart Breath, can't recall the name, really helps me. They have packets that you can take with you. It is like a mouthwash and I do it in the am and again at lunch. Seems to help.

I'm so sorry that hurt you. Don't feel embarrassed, you have nothing to be ashamed of.
downsize54
on 4/16/12 8:09 pm - MI
DS on 07/12/12
 Is this common with DS?
Valerie G.
on 4/17/12 12:18 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
NO - unless you're in ketosis, and that's only the first few months post op, usually.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Valerie G.
on 4/17/12 12:17 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Being over 6 yrs out myself, I'm having a hard time blaming your surgery for it.  Two things that come to mind for you:

1- Sinuses - it's allergy season, and congestion, and especially a sinus infection will cause bad breath.

2- Dental issues.  If you have bad gums or teeth, they can also contribute to your breath. 

If you think it's really coming from within, I'd consult a doc - for that is NOT par for the course.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

* Gail R *
on 4/17/12 2:35 am - SF Bay Area, CA
My kids complained that my breath had a sour milk smell to it. Researching this, I found that I probably had an excess of the bacteria that causes milk to sour. the remedy for me was to up my probiotics to twice a day. Not sure if it had anything to do with the surgery.

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

merrymorris
on 4/17/12 9:19 am - philadelphia, PA
DS on 04/26/12
Oh, that is so sad and embarrassing for you. WTF? I have worked with people with halitosis and no one is rude enough to say something about it. That makes me sad for you. I haven't had my surgery yet. I am truely concerned about this bad breath issue. I have never even had a cavity and have excellent oral hygiene. I am going to be pretty sad if I become known as the girl with the horrible breath. But I suppose it would be worth it if I am thin.
Most Active