Flagyl - how do I buy it? What's the dose?

fattyfattyboomstix
on 4/15/12 12:32 am
  I was wondering where people are buying Flagyl from and what name does it go by - do I just search Flagyl? I don't want to accidentally buy the wrong thing.. Also I'm not sure about the correct dose to use. Thanks!! 
Caitlyn_Cat
on 4/15/12 9:08 am
In the US at least, it is a prescription-only antibiotic that is also called metronidazole.  The dose and length of treatment depends on why it is being used.  
MajorMom
on 4/15/12 9:16 am - VA
Some of us cheat the system and buy it from vet supply shops. You want  Fish Zole: Metronidazole 250mg. www.revivalanimal.com/Fish-and-Bird-Antibiotics.html  

To take a 10 day course, try 3 tablets a day -- morning, noon and evening. 

--g

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

fattyfattyboomstix
on 4/15/12 9:23 am
 Thanks! This is what I was after! I appreciate the help. 
mrsannie
on 4/15/12 8:33 pm
 I found it here:
http://www.noblemedspharmacy.com/index.php

I haven't used it yet, I'm still waiting for mine to come.

Good Luck!

Nothing will change if you don't have the courage to change it!
      And stop calling me "Shirley!"    
fattyfattyboomstix
on 4/16/12 2:21 am
 Thank you! I'd be really interested to know how things go for you..Are you planning to do 1 pill 3 times per day for 10 days or something else? What are you treating (if you don't mind telling me?). I haven't tried this before but I feel like it's time since my husband can hardly stand to be in the same room as me because of the lovely smell that seems to waft in a green cloud around me and I've been keeping air freshener within arms reach at all times!! I've heard some people get diarrhea from flagyl so I'm hopeful that doesn't happen to me.
Valerie G.
on 4/16/12 4:29 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
Before you resort to antibiotics like Flagyl, try first to increase the amount of probiotics into your routine.  A cup or two of yogurt daily works wonders for me.  When I need a jump-start, I'll work down a bottle of kefir in a day.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

fattyfattyboomstix
on 4/16/12 5:01 am
 Thanks Valerie.
I've tried regular yogurt with no success, but I've never heard of Kefir before, so I'll give it a try first. Thanks for the response!
Amanda-DS
on 4/18/12 2:49 am
There are certainly people on this site that self-prescribe antibiotics for themself. Flagly is an antibiotic that can be used to successfully treat intestional overgrowth. The caveat is to know that you truly have an intestional overgrowth.

Unfortunately with any antibiotic you run the risk of developing antibiotic resistant strains of bacteria. C. diff is the main one of concern, it is a nasty GI infection that can take months to irradicate. 

Proceed with caution. No one knows who will be the one that will be able to take the flagyl successfully and who will end up making a much bigger problem for themself. 
Gratitude is my attitude

Amanda-DS October 2001
highest >350/342 start of wls journey/ 192 @8years

Most Active