Stent

laura74
on 4/13/12 11:30 am
 Has anyone had a stent place in the stomach due to narrowing of the stomach?   My husband had sleeve and needs a stent due to narrowing.  He is feeling awful and can't leave the hospital bc he can't drink any fluids without vomiting.  Would like to hear from someone about their experience. Thanks,
Laura

larra
on 4/14/12 1:02 am - bay area, CA
I did a pubmed search as I had never heard of this, and found a couple articles where stents were used in the stomach or esophagus as a temporary measure to treat leaks after a sleeve, or as a palliative measure for people with narrowing/blockage from tumors, but didn't find anything specific to your husband's problem. The numbers of people in these articles were very small, and the articles I found were from other countries. Granted, this wasn't a thorough search of the medical literature, but it does give the impression that this is not a common location for a stent, and that they aren't intended to be permanent in this location.
     I don't think you will find anyone with personal experience with a stent for narrowing of the stomach from a sleeve. Has endoscopic dilation been tried? Does the surgeon intend for the stent to be temporary?

Larra
laura74
on 4/14/12 2:19 am
 Hi, thanks for researching..he was having problem keeping anything thicker than clear liquids down at 3 weeks from his surgery.  He went to the hospital and there was narrowing of his stomach. They then did an endoscope and were going to try a balloon and if they felt it wouldn't work, they would have to temporarily put a stent in.  They like to try to avoid the stent if possible bc it is very uncomfortable. The doctor felt the narrowing was too big or long so he had to do a stent. He keeps it in for 3 weeks and he should feel better once they take it out.  If the narrowing isn't fixed then the next step is to do a gastric bypass where they would create the pouch from the stomach above the narrowing and connect the intestines - we don't want this.  
He's have a bad time with the stent with the pain and vomiting when he drinks anything that I was hoping someone had some advice. Some people that have say its very uncomfortable and that the vomiting subsides and they are able to go home. Not my husbamd- he is going to get a central line today and go home Monday.  It's scary when you don't know what to expect or the response to a procedure is so much severe than we thought.   Thanks you
Most Active