Is 10 pounds enough?

AdrianaJ
on 4/11/12 4:47 am
I had a revision surgery 3 weeks ago. I totally failed at the band so I went with the BPD with DS. Since then I feel ok but I have only lost about 10 pounds. When I search through the message boards, I see that people usually lose a lot more than that in their first few months. I just wonder if I am on the right track. I really don't want to fail at this like I did with the band. I am eating soft smushy foods and trying to choke down my protein shakes. I am also only exercising about 30 minutes out of the day. My doctor is 4 hours away and I don't have a follow up with him in person for another 3 weeks. I just can't help but to feel as though I should be losing more. 10 pounds is a great achievement but compared to others, is it the appropriate amount?
MajorMom
on 4/11/12 7:15 am - VA
How much weight do you have to lose in total? Hang in there--you may just be getting off to a slow start and will pick up momentum shortly.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Tarragon
on 4/11/12 8:46 am
Everyone experiences a stall at some point, I guess yours just came right away.  I stalled at around 300 pounds, now I am at 158 and eating over 5,000 calories per day (things like pounds of bacon, hard cheeses, fried rice, ice cream) in an attempt to gain some weight back because I lost a little too much.  And I haven't exercised one bit in a year (not bragging, I should exercise but I've been having some health issues that make it harder to do so.)

The weight will come off in its own time.

And YOU didn't fail ANYTHING.  The BAND failed.  My wife's VSG surgeon stopped doing bands because he said they don't work and it got to where he was taking more out than he was putting in.

You can't compare yourself to others, everyone is different. 
PatXYZ
on 4/11/12 9:44 am
I'm always heartened to hear about these surgeons. I hope more and more will start putting their patients health ahead of profit!
AdrianaJ
on 4/11/12 9:58 am
Thank you for your help. I originally started at around 260 and gained 20 pounds because the band was improperly placed. It was too high up on my esophagus which forced me to eat soft foods (even with no fill) and I chose the worse, ice cream and cream potatoes. 

After I decided to do the DS, I lost the mandatory weight on the pre-op diet. The day I went in for the surgery I was at 241. I am 5'4. 

So, I read on the op reports that instead of doing the usually 3 feet I was given almost 5 feet. I am not sure what that is referring to but I am guessing it may have something to do with my slow weight loss.

I guess my main goal is to make sure that this surgery is a success and anything I can do to aid in that is what I am looking for.
MajorMom
on 4/11/12 7:38 pm - VA
Try to keep your carbs down to 50 grams a day and your protein up and over 100 grams a day. i do that with protein shakes plus a little food others can do it on dense protein only. Make sure you're getting 64+ ounces of liquids a day and if you do protein shakes the liquid in those counts towards fluids too. Also make sure you're taking a good vitamin and mineral regimen--something like Vitalady's plan. (See her website)

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Most Active