Grads Group Discussion

Barbara C.
on 4/11/12 1:05 am - Raleigh, NC

I'm hosting a Grad's Group this Thursday 4/12 in Raleigh. The reason that I started this in person group is that those who have reached or maintenance tend to have some different issues/concerns than those who are in the midst of losing weight. That said, we have people who are still in the process of losing that like to come to these meetings because it gives them a 'window' into what life may be like once they do hit the maintenance phase of their own journey. 

All of this said, I'd like to see if we can start a 'virtual' discussion regarding maintenance. What is it like for you? The good things and the struggles. If you haven't achieved maintenance yet, do you have questions you'd like to ask?

I hope to have you engage in this 'virtual' discussion with me and other members. If you want to do it as a continuation of this post that's great. If you want to join my 'group,' you are most welcome to do that as well; just click on the link in my signature.  

I hope to hear from you one way or another,

Barbara
ObesityHelp Coach and Support Group Leader
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bcumbo_group/
High-264, Current-148, Goal-145

zuzupetals2u2
on 4/11/12 11:49 am - Sedona, AZ
 is that for the RNY? I would imagine the RNY maintenance would differ considerable from the DS maintenance.
Barbara C.
on 4/11/12 11:59 am - Raleigh, NC

No, it's not specific to any particular WLS. It's for anyone and according to several of my DS friends several years into maintenance, most of our concerns are really very similar.

You are most welcome, if you want to join in.

Barbara

zuzupetals2u2
on 4/11/12 1:39 pm - Sedona, AZ
 I don't think that is accurate as we don't need to watch fats like they do! and we have a better rate of success keeping the weight off ! 
Barbara C.
on 4/11/12 2:46 pm - Raleigh, NC

Each surgery has it's differences, but generally, many of my friends that have had DS have found more common ground than not, especially as we enter the maintenance phase of our journeys. Like many of my DS friends, I have been able to achieve and maintain my weight loss.  I wish you the same.

If you prefer not to participate, that is fine. 

Wishing you all the best in your journey,

Barbara

MajorMom
on 4/11/12 7:47 pm, edited 4/11/12 7:48 pm - VA
Barbara, do you know if OH will publicize this group on their open FB page or is it safely buried inside this website?

I think I could participate as I'm coming up on my 5th surgiversary and it is more of a struggle to keep things in control so the weight doesn't creep back up. Things may be a little different between the various surgeries but we all can learn something from open discussions.

--g

P.S. I got an error message when I clicked on your link.

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Barbara C.
on 4/12/12 1:20 am - Raleigh, NC

To be honest, I'm not sure if FB will publicize this group on their open FB page or not, but I'll look into it. I've been neck deep in some personal issues and have been out of the state for almost 2 months and I'm trying to get back in the 'proverbial' saddle. 

Thanks so much for letting me know of the broken link. I'll look into it to see what the problem is and try to get it resolved. I went directly to my group page and am pasting the link here so that you can access it. 

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery anniversary. Our seem to be very close. I have to say that in my experience with my large group that while there will always be some differences in our experiences with the difference surgery types, in general, we seem to have more in common as time goes by and as you mentioned we all can learn something from open, respectful discussions.

I look forward to seeing/hearing from you.

All the best,

Barbara

beemerbeeper
on 4/12/12 3:37 am - AL
I think that we do a disservice to the pre-ops and new-ops in terms of discussing maintenance with the DS.  I find maintenance a ***** personally and even though I am only 2.5 years out from surgery I struggle DAILY to keep my regain in check.

I HATE maintenance.  HATE HATE HATE it.

I'm in for joinging your group.

~Becky

Barbara C.
on 4/12/12 4:23 am - Raleigh, NC

Hi Becky,

In my experience, this is an issue across the board (no pun intended), no matter the surgery type. It's one of the reasons that I started the in-person Grad Group that I host; which by the way, has a cross-section of surgery types that includes RNY, Band, Sleeve and DS, among others. The issues and concerns that people that have reached maintenance... whatever, that means for each person, is just really very different than the issues that are being faced by those who are pursuing WLS or in the midst of their weight loss. 

It's good to see you again and I really look forward to reconnecting. 

Wishing you all the best, 

Barbara

beemerbeeper
on 4/12/12 3:38 am - AL
The link didn't work for me.  How can I find the group?

~Becky

Most Active