Vitamin Questions

AundreaSmith
on 4/11/12 11:17 am, edited 4/11/12 11:18 am - Caledonia, MI
DS on 03/12/12
Currently I am 4 weeks post operative and am on a multivitamin, iron w/vit C and B12.  I am searching around for my new multivitamin and the ADEK.

HATE the chewable vitamins, they are making me gag and I struggle with them daily.  So I am looking into VitaLady's plan and picking and choosing what I need and had a question on Vitamin K.  What is the difference between Vitamin K1 and Vitamin K2???

The ones that I am leaning towards are the Tender Dry ADE and K vitamins and will take those along with a traditional multivitamin.  Does anyone have experience with these specific vitamins? 

Now the iron is a little more cut and dry and the calcium is also pretty easy to figure out.  It's more so the Vitamin K that I need some advice on.

MajorMom
on 4/11/12 7:29 pm - VA
Vitamin K1 and K2 are two different animals. The K1 will help with the blood--things like bruising. The K2 is for bone--will assist with proper bone restructure when you calcium and D are in good shape. These Vitalady capsules for A, D, and the K's are tiny and the contents can be dumped into your shakes or mushies.

I started taking just 1 vitamin K2 after I was diagnosed with osteoporosis. It wasn't until I was on a break from the Fosamax prescription and I had increased to 4 vitamin K2 a day that I saw my osteocalcin coming into the proper range. I don't think any one really knows how much K2 we need as malabsorbers or as osteoporosis patients. There was a study done in Japan using another chemical configuration of K2 (MK4) and the subjects took 45mg to get positive results. Vitalady's K2 is MK7 and has a longer half life than MK4. I was taking 600mcg to see positive lab results. Bone density scan coming up soon, so I'll let you know how that goes.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

zix
on 4/11/12 11:51 pm - PA
DS on 02/13/12
 I take Vitalady's tender K1, Biotech D3-50, and Biotech A-25. These three are all really small capsules. You should have no problem swallowing these. They are the easiest out of all my vites I take daily. My multivitamin is the one causing me problems, I hate it.
vitalady
on 4/17/12 8:08 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
Just to clarify: all my fat soluble vitamins are made by BioTech but labeled for us.

The E is about the size of a Tylenol, and the rest are much closer to those little pink Benadryl.

Wow, I wish I coud get them to make me PINK pills!

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

AundreaSmith
on 4/11/12 11:56 pm - Caledonia, MI
DS on 03/12/12
Thank you Gina for clarifying that.  I do hope that things work out with your scan.  I am nervous about having any long term issues, so I want to get a good jump on my vitamins and suppliments

Thanks for the info Kristi, I am glad these are small so I can take a few in one sitting, I am so tired of these huge chewable saucers that I am taking!  Blah!

Vitamins are new territory for me, so I have a lot to learn!  Thanks again!

HW: 404/ SW: 380/  GW: 155

Most Active