One DS'ers Colonoscopy

(deactivated member)
on 4/5/12 12:44 am, edited 4/5/12 12:49 am
This is piggy backing off the prior colonoscopy post found here.

My instructions (which may vary) were to follow a low residual diet two days prior to the procedure. Easy peasy. One day prior I was on clear fluids only, and took 2 Dulcolax stool softeners at noon and at 3 pm I began to drink 64 oz of low sugar Gatorade mixed with 238 g Miralax (two 4.1 oz bottles). The fireworks began at 2 pm and were intermitent most of the evening and a few times at night. I was allowed to drink anything clear three hours prior to the colonoscopy.

I arrived and they went over the paperwork, etc. and made sure I was me. Hubby was shipped off to the waiting room while they took me back, had me strip down, gown open in back (obviously) and hop up on the bed with two warm blankets. I was hooked up to an auto blood pressure cuff and finger gizmo for heart rate and oxygen. My heart rate is below 50 and the damn thing is set for an alarm for anything under 50, so it kept going off, driving everyone nuts until the finally turned the alarm off. After waiting for a bit, my nurse came in and set up my IV and explained to me her duties to me while under. She was to watch my breathing, vitals, and inject the happy juice in my IV when my doctor ordered it. Once my IV was in, they wheeled me back to the room.

The room wasn't like an operating room at all, more like a fancy doctor's office, with a large tv like screen and the usual bells and whistles. The nurses got busy asking me who I was, what day it was, what I was in there for, and my birth date, when was the last time I took aspirin, NSAID's, pain meds. Once established, the doctor came in and I was asked to face the nurse who was watching my vitals. Of course I turn the wrong way and we all had a good laugh over who got my backside. Once I turned the proper way, it was lights out.

I woke up, very groggy and remember my husband was there going over pictures with my doctor. I do not remember the conversation, which ****** me off--I will be waiting for my follow up call today to ask what exactly the doctor said to my husband. Not that my hubby is an asshat who has no recall, I just like hearing it from the horses mouth.

I was sent home, still a bit woozy, with orders not to drive, not to sign legal documents, etc. Take it easy the rest of the day, no heavy lifting. Any signs of abnormal bleeding, fever, etc. call immediately as it may be infection setting in. I could eat anything I could tolerate, but to avoid fried foods. Of course I just peeled off the breading of a Bojangles chicken breast and was in heaven, especially after two bites of a biscuit. Nom!

I had a long nap after I ate, and slept like a log last night. Today I'm fine with a little ********cratchiness and still a tad woozy, but I'll live. I did not take any medications the morning of, nor did I take any medications--including vites--until my night time batch. I started up again this morning. So that's what a colonoscopy after a DS is like. I won't go into details about my results as each is different.

Oh, and mom always said... wear clean undies.

ETA: spelling worth a crap
MajorMom
on 4/5/12 1:59 am - VA
Four more years and I get to do my second one. Lovely.

--g

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

(deactivated member)
on 4/5/12 9:06 am
always knew you'd be squeaky clean
twodelight
on 4/5/12 4:39 am - Atlanta, GA
Wow you described everything I went through on Monday exactly. Except my girlfriend came with me and I went to her house for a 3 hour nap and then went home. I won't know the results til Monday. I had been having some issues but have felt great every since the procedure. Maybe what I needed was a good clean out. I haven't had any gas pains all week thus far as long as I stay away from gluten products and I don't have the gluten allergy. Weird. But I lived too.
(deactivated member)
on 4/5/12 9:07 am
Glad you made it through too. Yep, I felt tons better after the diet and bowel prep. Being full of **** makes ya feel bad I guess!
ghkan
on 4/5/12 5:31 am - Comstock Park, MI
 I get a flex sig yearly and a colonoscopy every other, many people put off having a colonoscopy bc they don't like or are afraid of the prep.....it's nothing!  I'm almost 42 and have been having both for at least 15 years now, I'd take a colonoscopy over a flex sig any day!!!  

twodelight
on 4/5/12 8:29 am - Atlanta, GA
 Do you get them because of previous problems or family history
ghkan
on 4/8/12 11:13 am - Comstock Park, MI
 I was diagnosed with Ulcertive Coilits when I was 24, no family history.....
(deactivated member)
on 4/5/12 9:08 am
What Two asked. You've been having them for a very long time; 42 is pretty young so there is an underlying cause, yes?
ghkan
on 4/8/12 11:15 am - Comstock Park, MI
 Just UC.....stress plays a big role in my flare ups, I've had 2 since surgery that only lasted about 2-3 days which is nothing compared to pre-surgery.  I just control it with meds.
Most Active