Denied psych consult and referred for RNY!

LuckyLibrarian
on 4/3/12 7:36 am - Plumerville, AR

Last week I had my insurance mandated dietician appointment. She had never had a DS patient, but was super supportive and interested in the procedure. She let me in on a little gossip about the psychiatrist I was scheduled to see the next day- that She had RNY years ago. We both thought this was great, as she would understand and know what to put in the letter to my insurance.

Well, hells bells, that was NOT the case. I drive 126 miles round trip, took an afternoon off of work, and left the psych office without a consult! During the 10 minutes that we spoke, she told me that the DS was a bad operation (she had it confused with the JIB of olden times) and that I should see a local Dr X for RNY. I explained why RNY wasn't right for me, all the research that I had done, and that the DS was a safe and effective procedure, and was firm in my decision. She then told me she refused to do my consult!!! WTF?!

Needless to say, I was furious. I have fired off a letter to her that includes several peer-reviewed articles and info from DS Facts. I have also CC'd a copy and complaint to my state medical board. I have not yet mailed these letters, so if you have something for me to add, I would love it.

I have a consult with a local guy tomorrow morning, and will post more about that later. I just had to vent my indignation.
Kristen
"Whatever the cost of our libraries, the price is cheap compared to that of an ignorant nation." - Walter Cronkite

Valerie G.
on 4/3/12 7:59 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 If she finds you competent to get RNY, then you should be able to handle the DS as well.  Get your letter for RNY, or ask her to generalize it for wls.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

teachmid
on 4/3/12 8:11 am - OKC, OK
VaKefir has a good point. Mtgs evaluation should be for WLS in general, regardless of the procedure.

Anyway, it sounds like you have a handle on it. Good luck.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

larra
on 4/3/12 8:45 am - bay area, CA
I totally understand your anger...but at least she was honest about her views, however misinformed they were. She could have done the consult and failed you instead of turning you away.
     I think you are better off seeing someone else. Even if the next doc knows nothing about the DS, hopefully he or she will be unbiased and give you a fair evaluation.

Larra
walter A.
on 4/3/12 10:34 am - lafayette, NJ
as previously stated the pscy evaluating is about compliance with wls, and to clarify absence of eating disorders , it is not procedure oriented.
calendargirl
on 4/3/12 12:04 pm - Land of Oz, KS
DS on 04/20/12
She doesn't get to pick, you do!

Once you consult with your surgeon (Dr. Anthone, right?), he will ask you what procedure YOU are interested in. Upon examination, he will advise if it is not appropriate based on your medical conditions.  

For example, my sister had to have a gastric emptying test because of her history of stomach distress.  The doctor told her if she had severe GERD or a long emptying time, she would be better suited for the RNY.

Fortunately the test results were fine, and the surgeon feels the DS will be ok for her.

If you would like a single-visit psych consult, I have a therapist in Kansas City who will do that for you.  Wonderful lady, very kind and considerate.  What the heck, it's on the way to Omaha!

And by the way, good for you for standing your ground!

C-Girl

Starting Stats: Ht: 5' 0" HW: 242 ~ SW: 229.9 ~ CW: 117 ~ Goal: 124.9 ("normal" BMI)
% EWL @ 03 months: 36%             % EWL
 @ 09 months: 80%
% EWL @ 06 months: 63%             % EWL @ 12 months + 2 weeks: 100%

Most Active