I just want to cry

hoofer4life
on 4/3/12 9:25 am - columbus, OH
 Okay, so I was preparing to have a revision from RNY to DS, doing my research on docs, getting things in order with planning to have it in 2012. I am 47 years old, had the RNY in 2003. No complications, just never came close to goal and now I've gained back 40 of the 125 pouds lost. I also started menopause and having alot of heart palpitations during the last year and some shortness of breath. I chalked up my palpitations to menopause and the shortness of breath to the weight gain. But I decided to go see a cardiologist since I really want to get the revision and wanted to be sure I was in good shape for another surgery since I am much older now. Well, here it is three months later, echocardiogram, EKG, and nuclear stress tests later, and I have been diagnosed with a congenital heart defect...a bicuspid aortic valve along with an aortic aneurysm. The cardiologist said if I need/want any type of surgery before I need heart surgery (at some point in my life I will need this, but we're hoping not until my 60s-70s), I will have to make sure the bariatric surgeon is not only aware of this condition, but is somewhat knowlegable of people who were born with what I have. I still want to have the DS revision, but I am curious...has anyone out there have any type of heart condition and went through with weight loss sugery? Obviously, I've had this defect since birth and have had two C-sections and the RNY surgical procedures with this heart condition, but now that I am aware that I have it, I want to know if anyone else has gone through surgery in a similiar situation. I will be so sad if I can not have the DS! Luckily, all my heart tests have come back  good in terms of no coronary heart disease, healthy heart muscle, other valves great, good blood pressure, cholesterol, etc. By the way, the cardiologist said that this defect has probably contributed to my childhood-adult obesity...if your heart doesn't work efficiently, your metabolism works inefficiently as well. Not that I wish someone else has a heart condition, but I just feel alone on this one;-( Thanks for letting me vent;-)
larra
on 4/3/12 9:48 am - bay area, CA
Neither of these are rare conditions, and the aneurysm may or may not be significant, depending on how large it is. Have you discussed them with your DS surgeon? If he's comfortable with doing your surgery, go for it. And getting that weight off will certainly make any future heart surgery you may need safer.

Larra
hoofer4life
on 4/3/12 10:46 am - columbus, OH
Thanks, Larra. My aneurysm is dialated to 4.6 cm. They tell me surgery is needed once it's closer to 5.5, but there is still a 4 percent chance of dissection even at 4.6 cm. They also told me that this is a genetic condition and other issues may arise later on, but I should be able to live a normal life as long as I am closely monitored. It is something that is never completely cured even when I have the valve replaced and the aneurysm repaired. Yes, they also told me that it is the most common of all the congenital heart defects and about 2 percent of the population have them.

I have not talked with a DS surgeon yet. I was looking into Drs. K, Rabkin, and Greenbaum. I hear they are considered the best in RNY to DS revisions. I really hope I can get the revision. I am gaining weight as I type! Thanks for your support, it's nice to know someone hears my fears;-)

-Laurie
walter A.
on 4/3/12 10:42 am - lafayette, NJ
get a second opinion on the cardiac issue as to treatment, I was told I had A Fib, one cardiologist offered meds, and a pacemaker,   I opted to go to the nyu cardiac arrhythmia center, and had a surgical procedure that cured it, and drove myself home the next morning. 
hoofer4life
on 4/3/12 10:48 am - columbus, OH
Walter, did you have the surgical procedure before or after your DS? -Laurie
honeybee123
on 9/3/12 11:01 am - Pictou County, Canada
Adjustable Gastric Band on 06/23/11
hey,
Just diagnosed with the same thing two weeks ago... my dilation is 5.4 though, so they are doing surgery. I had a band placed last year, and had gone through ALL of the symptoms you have talked about in the past 6 months- had actually stopped losing weight thinking that my body needed to catch up to the weight loss. I am 42- looking at heart surgery the end of September now, and I hope it fixes it for good. I was born with it as you were, and I want to put it behind me so i can get back on track. I gotta say with all that's going on all I wanna do is sit around and eat......
Most Active