How do I get over this hump??

AundreaSmith
on 4/3/12 4:30 am - Caledonia, MI
DS on 03/12/12
I am just over 3 weeks post op and struggling.  I have been getting in all my vitamins and medications, however I have NO desire to eat, NO desire to drink...NOTHING.  I have to sit and force myself to do both.   

I am drinking maybe 32oz of water a day (not enough, I KNOW) and eating about  3-4 times a day (protein hot chocolate, cottage cheese w/applesauce, Greek yogurt cup, malt-o-meal cereal with milk, sugar free jell-o, saltines w/peanut butter).  On average it takes me 45 minutes or an hour to eat a container of yogurt, I only eat 3-4 saltines with peanut butter, etc.  Maybe I am eating too fast?  Too big of bites??

Recently, I've been having some discomfort when eating, it's like a chest tightening and pain in my clavicle (collar bone) area when I would eat or drink.  Of course, if it hurts....you don't do it.  So even with small sips of water it's uncomfortable.  I feel absolutely stuffed all the time.  I called my physician's office and they want me to take Levsin (for esophageal spasms) every 4 hours for the next couple of days to see if that will ease off on the abdominal discomfort.

But HOW do you get over the feeling of NOT wanting to eat??  I am worried that I am going to get dehydrated.  I know a lot of this is normal, but I am feeling VERY frustrated. 

HW: 404/ SW: 380/  GW: 155

MajorMom
on 4/3/12 5:04 am - VA
Are you also on an antacid?

Slow down a little and eat more moist things like the yogurt and protein shakes. You might also try your water at different temps and with a little fresh lemon or lime squeeze. Maybe herbal tea.

--g

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

AundreaSmith
on 4/3/12 5:42 am - Caledonia, MI
DS on 03/12/12
I am on Prilosec and have been since surgery, I think I've got another month of it, too.   I haven't noticed much difference with it, to be honest.

I think I am going to get out the tea and see if I can calm my stomach down, at least it would count as part of my water intake!  Typically I like COLD water, but because it takes me so long to get through a 16.9oz bottle it ends up being room temperature.

I have found that a lot of the protein shakes make me gag, I drink them...it just takes a lot more will power!

Thanks for the advice, I will give them a try.

HW: 404/ SW: 380/  GW: 155

Carol P.
on 4/3/12 7:23 am
 I am just under 3 weeks and have the same problems as you.  I'm housesitting and their water just isn't as good as what I drink at home, and it is just sitting in my stomach like a lead balloon when I drink it. Especially because, like you, it gets warm because it takes me so long to drink it. I fight to try and get 64 ounces in.

Fortunately I have some protein drinks that actually sit better than plain water so I get a decent amount of fluids in.  I don't get as much food in as I should because I make sure I get to certain amounts of fluids in before I try to eat.  I figure fluids are much more important than food at this point, and I could care less if I eat at this point.

I think it's just something that we have to put up with for a couple more weeks.  At least that's what I hope.

Valerie G.
on 4/3/12 8:01 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 You're not going to get any pleasure right now to "want to eat".  You eat because your body needs it, that's it.  In time, you will enjoy food again, but it took me nearly 9 months.  This is all completely normal.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Monica22
on 4/3/12 12:49 pm - Shakopee, MN
DS on 03/15/12
I am almost 3 weeks out.  I had these problems when trying to drink regular water.  Then i also could not eat.  I tried propel zero, peach thats already done in the bottle you know...not adding a pouch to water thing.  After i started drinking these things went so much better!!! i usually get 80oz of water in a day, somedays less but always 48oz min.  I also felt like eating again as well.  I will purree up a deli chicken and eat that with some red whine vinagret...good stuff they tummy loves it and no pain!  Try finding something else to drink, i also don't need the pepto tabs or gas X much anymore either. 
Monica22
on 4/3/12 12:50 pm - Shakopee, MN
DS on 03/15/12
O I also did not need the prilosec anymore either
Most Active