restless legs HELP!

Glen B.
on 3/31/12 10:02 pm - UT
 for the last few nights i have been having really bad restless legs at night. i am 2 1/2 weeks post op. has anyone had similar problems? any solutions? vitamin deficiency?
Glen Bailey
MajorMom
on 3/31/12 10:17 pm - VA
I've noticed that my hubby has less issues when he's taking his magnesium citrate. I know it's only supposed to help with leg cramps but it seems to help with his restless legs too. Maybe I'm imagining things but there you go.

I take Vitalady's magnesium citrate in capsule form and take it with every calcium dose I take. I take about 6 doses of calcium a day.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Valerie G.
on 3/31/12 10:25 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA
 If I remember correctly, low potassium makes legs crampy, but not restless.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

(deactivated member)
on 3/31/12 11:47 pm
I had crampy legs, which made me want to move them constantly while trying to sleep. My potassium was low, which I take an rx for. Still, my legs were driving me crazy. Even though my mag was in normal range, I took mag and my symptoms went away. (disclaimer: I have nerve damage in my back the effects my legs, so I also take Lyrica)
A. Holt
on 4/1/12 1:05 am
Restless legs can be a side affect of anesthesia. Call your doc if it continues.
Diane Davis
on 4/2/12 11:48 am
I have suffered with restless leg syndrome for several years and have always taken requip for it.  I'm 7 1/2 months postop, and for almost the first 5 months was nauseous 24/7. We tried everything, had every test and scope we could do, couldn't find the problem.  On my own, I started eliminating my prescription meds, and guess what....it was the requip causing my nausea.

My nausea went away as soon as I stopped the requip, but still suffered with restless leg syndrome. 

Recently, as suggested by Major Mom, I increased my calcium and magnisium citrate, and no more restless leg syndrome!!!

Worth a try!
 My  is Jewels.  Love her very much!            
DsMama
on 4/17/12 3:39 am
 Restless leg syndrome can be caused by iron deficiency anemia. You can google it. You may want to have your iron levels checked out.
southernlady5464
on 4/17/12 8:00 am
I also have RLS and have had it for many years...it's a neurological condition. I was on Mirapex...I tried Requip, it didn't help. So I went back to Mirapex.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001810/
http://www.rls.org/page.aspx?pid=477

Recently I started treatment for varicous veins and a HAPPY side effect of that is my RLS has disappeared. My labs aren't really any different from last summer and I suffered from RLS badly...even documented on a sleep study in Sept...now I don't have that issue. 
Doesn't help everyone but if you have bad varicous veins (and I did from my years of being obese AND standing on concrete floors), it's something to consider.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Most Active