Colonoscopy - after Duodenal Switch - DS

bseelbach
on 3/30/12 3:09 am - VA
 I am going to have a colonoscopy via an endoscopic procedure next month. I am going to discuss my fears with my doctor but I wonder if anyone has done this after the DS? I had BPD DS 2 years ago. Both my parents passed away from colon cancer so my doctor really wants me to go through with this test. I am nervous. Any help out there?
Thanks
Brenda
See my weight loss surgery journey - losing 193 pounds in 14 months
at: www.my-weight-loss-surgery.com follow me on Facebook too: https://www.facebook.com/MyWeightLossSurgery

zix
on 3/30/12 4:00 am - PA
DS on 02/13/12
 What's your specific concern? The colonoscopy will examine your large bowel, which was not surgically altered as part of the DS, if that's what you're worrying about.
Amanda-DS
on 3/30/12 6:42 am, edited 3/30/12 6:43 am

nothing done with your DS will impact your colonoscopy. Totally different parts of the colon, they do not usually go into the small intestine at all.

Gratitude is my attitude

Amanda-DS October 2001
highest >350/342 start of wls journey/ 192 @8years

(deactivated member)
on 3/30/12 7:10 am
You're probably nervous because of your family history....I know I would be. I'm going in Wednesday for my first colonoscopy. Only thing I can tell you is thus far, my GI wanted me to stop Vitamin D and E for one week prior--something to do with possible bleeding. I'm not looking forward to the prep-2 small bottles of Miralax mixed with 64 oz Gatorade or Crystal Lite, 2 Dulcolax, clear fluids day before. Talk about a crap shoot. I'll post after and let you know how it went for me, if you like.
bseelbach
on 4/11/12 4:23 am - VA
 this is a huge part of my concern. please let me know. I am suffering from an anal fissure right now too, which he will fix while in there so the prep will be especially fun ;(
Thanks
Brenda
See my weight loss surgery journey - losing 193 pounds in 14 months
at: www.my-weight-loss-surgery.com follow me on Facebook too: https://www.facebook.com/MyWeightLossSurgery

Herman
on 3/30/12 9:59 am
 Yup, did the same as Eileen. The endoscope is done on a completly different part of the intestine. So don't worry, you'll be a sleep and you won't remember a thing.
wannablite
on 3/30/12 11:42 am - Southern, NJ
 Just had one on the 9th and it was easy peasy. No worries. You will do just fine and it will be over before you know it! Best of luck with a good outcome!

J G.
on 3/30/12 3:59 pm, edited 3/30/12 4:06 am
Brenda, nothing to worry about hon. But I would advise starting your prep early. If they tell you to start at 2, start at noon (so you can get some sleep at night.) Also, after each BM and clean up, coat your skin with Vaseline. Each time, never miss. You can avoid a lot of misery that way.

I wore and adult diaper thing on the 40 minute car ride there, but it wasn't needed at all. Totally cleaned out hours in advance. The nurse will want you to verify that you are running clear.
lisarn
on 4/2/12 11:11 pm - Omaha, NE
 As a GI nurse that assists during colonoscopies, I need to say a big NO to the Vaseline!
The oil from the Vaseline can smear on the lens of the scope making it so nothing can be seen. I know your rear ends can get sore during the prep (actually after the prep when it starts working!), but really, it's just a few hours. Get medicated wipes and then load up with whatever ointments afterwards. You don't want to have to go through that prep and then have the doctor not be able to see. When they are all the way in its not super easy to pull the scope out, wipe it off then go back in all the way, only to have it happen again. Most docs I work with just stop the procedure and tell the pt they have to do it again another day, this time without Vaseline or whatever goop they used. 
HW/SW/CW/GW:   294/288/170.2/150  ht: 5'2" (06/03/2012)

godzilla
on 3/31/12 1:50 am - Israel
I am a RnYer in 2008,revised from Ring but with a lot of bowel bypassed.
I too am scared of colonoscopy as it will be my first (and I hope I never have to do it again!). All my ops (Bariatric,hysterectomy,hernia repair) have been Open so I likely have lots of scar tissue.
Lately I've been having tummy pains in left mid-low abdomen that move to the right. Saw a surgeon who upon seeing my age (49) and complaints he recommended I do a colonoscopy. I have one schedules for 10 April.
I am more concerned about the diet prep for four days prior and the med day before and getting to hospital for the test without messing up my clothing along the way. I need to ask about diet and supplement intake as well as protein powder. Four days of dairy and eggs and boiled chicken but no veg/fruit due to fiber. I also live alone and one had to come with a companion but my apptmt is during Passover and most of my friends are married and will be busy with their extended families over the holiday.
Will try to look back here to see how your test went for you.
Mikimi in Israel