Anyone had or know about Kidney Stones? Need Help!

mrsannie
on 3/28/12 8:35 pm
I know we are at increased risk for kidney stones due to our high protein diet and the fact that we have had WLS.  Lately I have had a sharp pain on the lower left side of my back, right about where my kidney is.  I woke up with it about 4 days ago and hasn't gotten any better so I doubt it muscular.

I looked it up on WebMD and I have 3 of the 5 risk factors: high protein diet, I eat salty foods (I love ham and bacon, etc.) and I drink coffee. Also, I probably could drink more than I do.  But the major symptoms out side of the back pain, is nausea and vomitting which I do not have.

Here's my question, has anyone had this issue and so what happened?  Thanks I can always count on you guys!!!

Life is good here in the land of DS!  :)
Anne

Nothing will change if you don't have the courage to change it!
      And stop calling me "Shirley!"    
(deactivated member)
on 3/28/12 11:06 pm, edited 3/29/12 12:11 am
Hi Anne,

Kidney stones galore here. I went back to check my pre-op abdominal ultrasound and there were no stones. Fast forward 2 year 3 months and I have multiple stone on both kidneys. The pain you described is what I go through, with no nausea or vomiting. First time I went to Urgent Care thinking I may be starting bowel obstruction but thankfully it was stones. *lesser of two evils*

Right now I've been told to try low oxalate foods. Here's a great list to start:

http://www.windsorurology.co.uk/downloads/Low_Oxalate_Diet.p df

Also, I've read to increase your calcium and drink more water to increase urine output to help flush the stones without pain. If you have continual pain, the stone may be too large to pass and you should get to the doctor as you may have to have it removed.

I think Sue (Ms Calculator) has been through this so you might want to seek her advice.

ETA: Forgot I had found a study about this:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2637794/
mrsannie
on 3/29/12 10:53 pm
 Thank you so much for your post!!!  I was confused because I don't have the nausea or vomitting.  I feel better now.

Thanks

Nothing will change if you don't have the courage to change it!
      And stop calling me "Shirley!"    
fullhousemom
on 3/28/12 11:10 pm
There are lots of people on the proboards weight loss surgery site that have posted about this. I would check over there or do a search on this site of kidney stones and see what you come up with.  I havent had any personal experience with kidney stones. 
He who can't be Named
on 3/29/12 2:40 am
If you know where bearmom went, she had a long history of stones, and had amassed much info about them. Calc Sue had info too (much the same, but good).
Some times dingle berries are the lowest hanging fruit.  
yeaokaybye
on 3/29/12 11:28 pm
Yowch!  I have also had stones 2 years out.  I had lower back pain previous to the stone finding and then i was feeling intermittant pain in my right side ( i thought it was my appendix) turned out to be 3 very large stones that i would not be able to pass and had to have them surgically removed.  The Dr was shocked i wasnt screaming in pain, but i guess i have a high tolerence.  Get it taken care of NOW.  You dont want to have to get scoped like i did, it was way worse than the stone pain, and then you're stuck with a stent for a week or two which makes you feel like you have a UTI but worse.

Drink lots of water, and add lemon or lime juice to it.  The acid in the lemon or lime tends to lessen the chance of a stone forming again, because most stones they say are calcium oxide? i think.

I'm the Queen... my pantyhose say so!!!!!!!

Most Active