How Long Were You Off Work Post-Op?

whatthehair
on 3/27/12 1:02 pm - Kalamazoo, MI
 I am a cosmetologist, a VERY BUSY one! I have a few days I'm on my feet for about 9 hours, and a few other shorter days. I have LOTS of weddings to do this summer, and I have a window of opportunity if things move smoothly, that I could have surgery. The doctor said usually people resume work after 2 weeks, sometimes earlier if it's "low impact", but I'm not sure if that is going to be enough for me? I've never had any type of surgery like this before, so I'm just wondering if any of you had similar work type situations, and if you have suggestions on a good length of time I should schedule for, and if I feel up to it, maybe I can return to work sooner. I'm really trying to plan ahead on this, as I'm paid on commission, and I do NOT get paid time off. Thanks!!!

If you really knew me, you'd see my heart is honest and pure, your painful words will push me forward on my journey and NOT knock me down! I will succeed this time, for I have the support of a 50 story building, and the love to last a thousand lifetimes! It's time for me to LOVE ME!

walter A.
on 3/27/12 10:24 pm - lafayette, NJ
WAIT until after your wedding season,  there will be days during the first 30 -60 that you may not want to be up and standing. or cheerful,  You didn't get fat overnight, you don't have to rush this surgery, do it on your time.
whatthehair
on 3/27/12 10:45 pm - Kalamazoo, MI
 That "window" of opportunity to have surgery between weddings is like 8 weeks.
zix
on 3/29/12 5:23 am - PA
DS on 02/13/12
 I would think 8 weeks to recover is plenty for most people. I felt like crap the first few weeks before I gradually started feeling better. I'm 6.5 weeks out now and feel pretty good most days. YMMV of course.
Heather E.
on 3/28/12 12:05 am
I am a restaurant manager who works at least ten hours a day, on my feet the majority of the time.  I went back to work after three weeks.  Honestly, I feel like going back to work helped me heal faster and feel better.  I was starting to get kind of depressed just sitting at home all day by myself, so getting back to being around people really helped me on an emotional level.  The physical activity helped me feel stronger, too.  It's hard to be able to gauge from other people's experiences, though, what to expect for yourself, because it all just depends upon how your own recovery is going and if you have any complications.  I was fortunate that I did not have any complications, and my recovery was pretty much textbook.  I will say that although I was tired at first and it took awhile for my stamina to get back to pre-op levels, I am really happy that I went back to work when I did intead of taking more time off.

~Heather~

HW: 249/ CW: 130/ GW: 140

AundreaSmith
on 3/28/12 12:20 am, edited 3/28/12 1:15 am - Caledonia, MI
DS on 03/12/12
For me personally, standing was one of the more difficult things for me to do.  I was ok walking and sitting, but standing made me break into a sweat and get very nauseated.

I would say if you have a block of time, I would schedule surgery when you have MORE than enough time to heal.  I couldn't imagine being forced to go back to work before you are physically ready to do so.  You just never know how you or your body will handle this surgery.  It's better to have more time to heal, just in case.

HW: 404/ SW: 380/  GW: 155

Valerie G.
on 3/28/12 8:08 am, edited 3/27/12 8:09 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA
I agree to wait until after wedding season if you want that work. I was very listless for several weeks and took a total of 8 weeks off. I really needed the first 5-6 weeks, and skated the last 2 getting into a routine, and when I returned, I really hit the ground running. My recovery had no complications. My body just needed time to sit still.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

elixir
on 3/29/12 1:57 am - MI
I was off for two weeks. I work split shifts doing office-type work so when I went back to work it involved sitting on my butt. The split shifts allowed me to take a nap between shifts. I needed those naps as I was exhausted all the time. My naps tapered off after four to six weeks. Once I got over being exhausted the nausea kicked in and I was nauseous all the time (from about six to twelve weeks out.) One of my "switch sisters" is a nurse and she went back to work after two weeks also and has done very well. You won't really know how things will go for you until the time comes unfortunately. 

I am not like I was before. I thought that nothing would change me. ~Sinead O'Connor

Lisa A.
on 3/29/12 4:42 am - Windsor, NY

I would wait until after your busy season if I was you. Everyone recovers differently from this surgery. Some people bounce right back and some are very sick after this.

I personally, could have never been on my feel 9 hours a day 2 weeks after surgery and I am a high energy person, even at my heaviest weight of 283 I was still a very active, high energy person before my surgery.

It wasn't the pain part of the surgery (I stopped pain meds the day after I left the hospital), it was the nausea and throwing up and diareah that got to me and this lasted 5 months. I went back to work after 3 weeks, and have a sit down job. I would take vacation or work from home for a few hours each day. I had all I could do to drive to work each morning without pulling over to puke - I actually had to coach myself.

Not telling you this to scare you - it's just that you never know how your body will react so what worked for someone may not work for you. My motto is hope for the best but expect and plan for the worst.

Janet P.
on 3/29/12 5:15 am
You're having major surgery. You may "recover" in 2-3 weeks, but it also takes time to adjust to the new DS way of life. You really will need to be able to focus on staying hydrated, adjusting to your new eating regime, etc. If you can wait until things calm down, that might be better in the long run.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Most Active