Interesting article on WLS and how it cures type 2 diabetes. Edited.

(deactivated member)
on 3/26/12 11:22 am, edited 3/26/12 12:13 pm
 Just dinking around on the Internet and came across this article. For most of you it's kind a "duh" article. No new knowledge here. But interesting nonetheless. What I find the most interesting is that this study found that 95% of DS patients saw their diabetes cured, versus 75% of gastric bypass patients. But what I found really interesting is how the WLS patients saw improvement in their diabetes even before losing much weight!

Here's the link: vitals.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/03/26/10855418-could-weight- loss-surgery-help-end-diabetes

Edit: I thought I post an excerpt from the article that I found the most interesting:

The answer, most experts say, is that most type 2 diabetics (type 1 diabetes is an auto-immune disease not impacted by this research) can stay well with diet, exercise and medication. But those who cannot control their disease face complications including heart and kidney disease, along with loss of limbs and visions. One person with uncontrolled diabetes can run up millions in medical bills.  So a surgery that was considered extreme not long ago may become a standard treatment for many people with one of the most common diseases of modern times.

One more edit. This is the link to an article by the New England Journal of Medicine on the significance of bariatric surgery's effects on type 2 diabetes. What stood out to me, when reading this article, is how it describes type 2 diabetes' progressive nature and how conventional treatment often fails. It discusses how more and more doctors are recognizing the superiority of bariatric surgery when treating type 2 diabetes. This issue is important to me. My husband was just diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, and it's likely to be a part of my future as well if I don't take steps to prevent it. Here's the link: www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMe1202443#t=article

Most Active