Travel after laproscopic DS

Wendy_Berd
on 3/24/12 11:18 am - Minneapolis, MN
DS on 07/23/12
Hey guys,

I am planning my surgery for August... I was thinking after my one week checkup flying 3 hours to recover at my parent's beach house for the remaining 4 weeks of leave...

Any thoughts on flying a week after surgery?  (The nurse said it would be better to stay close to home.. my surgeon seemed to think it's no big deal.) 

Thank you!
Valerie G.
on 3/25/12 2:16 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 My surgeon wanted me close for 2 weeks post op.  If all goes well, then it should be fine.  Call the airlines and explain that you are in recovery, and they can meet you with a wheelchair and get you on and off the plane without wearing you out.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

* Gail R *
on 3/25/12 6:16 am - SF Bay Area, CA
I think I might have been able to do it if someone else took care of my check in and luggage. I wouldn't want to walk far so the whellchair is a must. I think I would have been better alble 10 or 12 days out.

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

Emily F.
on 3/25/12 8:10 am
I flew home from west coast of Mexico to East Coast of fl on day 10-11 from open ds. I was fine. I did ask for extra pain pills to take and had no problems. Ended up getting stuck in Atl for a night. I would make it at least 10 days out.
Lisa A.
on 3/25/12 9:54 am - Windsor, NY
I can't even imagine it.... I was so sick. I would not have made it through the terminal much less the flight. I have an extremely high tolerance for pain - so that wasn't it at all. It was the vomiting and nausea that would have killed me. I was way too sick for travel.

beemerbeeper
on 3/25/12 10:09 am - AL
I was driven 3.5 hours home from the motel where I did my first week recuperation and I wanted to die.  There is no way in hell I could have flown at one week out. 

But I had a rough (and completely complication free) recovery.  I couldn't stay hydrated.  The anesthesia did a number on me and I basically felt like I'd been hit by a truck and then backed over again.

Everybody is different.  I've heard of people going back to work a week out from surgery.

~Becky

Wendy_Berd
on 3/25/12 11:28 am - Minneapolis, MN
DS on 07/23/12
 Thanks you guys for the responses... Sounds like it's a widely varying situation depending on how you respond to the surgery... I think I'll keep my travel plans loose and see how I feel! 

Most Active