Is DS Less Popular than GB?

highlyblessed1
on 3/23/12 3:26 pm - AL
DS on 04/16/12
 I was initially opting for GB. But after researching, I found the Switch to be more desirable and perhaps likely to be more successful for me. But no one seems to have heard it when I mention it outside the bariatric community. I was told by surgeon that it's more popular in bigger cities. I don't know what to make of that. And the DS boards are not as active so I don't know if it's equivalent to popularity in general. 
Huneypie
on 3/23/12 6:45 pm - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12
There are fewer DS surgeons as it's a more complicated surgery.  Also the surgery takes longer than RNY but surgeons get paid the same by insurance.  So there are less DSers.

If you want long term success then the DS is your best bet.  With RNY your malabsorption ceases after ~18 months.

If you Google DSfacts there's a lot of info there (sorry we're no longer permitted to post links to other sites).

Most of the DSers have moved to another forum.  Google 'weight loss surgery proboards' and you'll find them in your first hit.  Things are pretty active there.

All the best and remember 'think twice, cut once'.  Revising from RNY is very complex and even fewer surgeons do revisions to the DS.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

highlyblessed1
on 3/24/12 12:22 am - AL
DS on 04/16/12
 Thank you for the information. I will be having the DS, no if's, ands, or buts about it. :-) I will check some of the other boards too. 
(deactivated member)
on 3/27/12 6:19 pm
 I realize this is off topic for this post, but why did everyone leave this forum? I haven't been around in awhile, and I was wondering where the regulars went.
mrsannie
on 3/23/12 10:07 pm
It is a much more involved surgery and not as many surgeons do it.  I also think the same thing when I see those TLC shows about the extremely obese, why do they choose GB?  They always wind up gaining a lot weight back and really struggle.

Maybe because GB not as invasive?  I don't know.  The thing that sold me with the DS was the amount of people on the boards that have gained back their weight from a GB and had a revision to the DS.  I had a revision from a failed Lap-Band (aka Crap-Band) I wanted to be sure this was going to be it for me.  No more failed surgeries.

The long term is much better for the DS than the GB, but the DS does require a big change in your eating for life.  For me, not everyone, I can not eat any bread, oats, pasta and need to watch sugar and carbs which is tough since I live for chocolate and carbs!!!  But there is not a day I regret having this surgery.  I am grateful everyday.  There are days I miss the foods I can't eat when I am dying for a Hershey bar or I see my family enjoying Sunday gravy, but I eat my meatball and am still happy with my decision.  I can eat as much as I want, calories and fat don't matter anymore, which is not the way with the GB.  Of course there are days I eat it anyway and I pay the price, the gas (and the smell!) can be severe, but I'm still glad I did it!  Probiotics really help with the issues.

I am a size 8/10 now, I am active and I love it.  I go for walks, ride my bike, and I'm not in pain, its actually enjoyable not a chore.  I have become one of those people I would be so jealous of who just walk around the block with the dog just to get out.  Its also nice not to have to search the world to find something that fits me and looks good.  I can go anywhere and buy my size.  Life is good.

Good luck to you!  You can PM me if you have any questions and I'll do my best to answer.

Nothing will change if you don't have the courage to change it!
      And stop calling me "Shirley!"    
highlyblessed1
on 3/24/12 12:25 am - AL
DS on 04/16/12
 That's what sold me too. All the people I know personally have gained most of their weight back. I don't want any parts of it. I want long term success and I'm willing to do the work.

Thanks for nice slogan, "Think twice, cut once". I will be using it. :-)
mrsannie
on 3/24/12 10:02 am
 I have to say it really hasn't been all that tough!!!  Its much easier than the crap-band was, all I have to eat all the protein I can handle and I am A-OK.  The gas can be an issue, but I can control that with what I put in my mouth.  Life is good here in DS land  :)

Nothing will change if you don't have the courage to change it!
      And stop calling me "Shirley!"    
NoMore B.
on 3/24/12 10:26 am
 The DS boards HERE aren't that active, because most long time DS'ers left Obesity Help for another board.  Terms of Service say we cant post the link here, but if you read back you might be able to find it.

Also, check out http://www.dsfacts.com

highlyblessed1
on 3/24/12 12:40 pm, edited 3/24/12 12:45 pm - AL
DS on 04/16/12
 Thank you. I think I found it. ;-)
Most Active