Not sure which way to go

Lmoose
on 3/23/12 1:24 am
Hi everyone, this is my first post. I am trying to decide if I should have the RNY or the DS. The only reason I am leaning towards the DS is because I cant have ibuprofen if I get the RNY. My Doctor recommended the RNY, but I think it's because he does not know much about DS. Does anyone have any suggestions? Or can you give me any information on the ibuprofen?
Valerie G.
on 3/23/12 2:04 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 You are correct with RNY and NSAIDS, such as ibuprophen, aspirin and naproxen (aleve) amongst others.  The DS isn't as widely known, but has definitely gained respect.  You can learn more about it at dsfacts.com

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

beemerbeeper
on 3/23/12 2:48 am - AL
Read back on this forum for questions similar to yours.  I've posted links of scientific reasons NOT to get a Rny dozens of times.  Right now I don't have time to post all those links again.

I wouldn't have gotten an RnY if it had meant getting NO surgery once I learned what it meant to live without a pyloric valve.

The DS is the best thing I have ever done.

~Becky

zix
on 3/23/12 6:45 am - PA
DS on 02/13/12
 A doctor who doesn't do the DS or is not familiar with it is certainly not going to recommend it. My PCP was not familiar at all with it when I told her my plans and asked me if I was sure I didn't want the bypass or the lapband?? Uh, yes, I was very sure. 
For me, I definitely wanted to keep my pyloric valve, so that ruled out RNY. I was also most interested in long term, permanent weight loss and the DS is the most successful at that. 

highlyblessed1
on 3/23/12 3:30 pm - AL
DS on 04/16/12
 This is exactly what I experienced. You ask or tell the physician and they look at you strange or ask why, seemingly trying to coerce me into choosing another option. I don't want RNY, I want DS. Period.
larra
on 3/23/12 9:48 am - bay area, CA
You are right about the ibuprofen, and in fact all NSAIDs are contraindicated with RNY, for life. But that's only one very good reason in favor of the DS. The others are that the DS has the best statistics of any wls for percentage excess weight loss, for maintaining that weight loss, and resolution of almost all comorbidities. Weight regain is a major problem with RNY, and the failure rate is substantial. The RNY surgeon that I saw quoted a failure rate of 30%, and to this day I appreciate his honesty. Keep in mind also that "failure", in the world of bariatric surgery, means losing less than 50% of your excess weight. If you lose 51% of your excess weight, you are counted as a "success". For me, that doesn't sound like success. You will have to make your own decision.
    We can also eat a more normal diet with the DS. There is no dumping, and no food getting stuck. We chew and eat normally, though in smaller amounts that pre-op. We do need to take lots of vitamins and supplements, and this is not optional, but it isn't difficult either. And you would need vitamins and supplements with RNY also, just different ones, and somewhat less, but still very important for your health.

Keep on doing your research. dsfacts.com has lots of great information about the DS.

Larra
Most Active