Did anyone have trouble tolerating protein shakes

Dreamgenie84003
on 3/22/12 2:38 am - American fork, UT
I'm going back to work on Tues, next week, I drive a shuttle van to and from the airport, lifting bags up to 75 lbs, and I work about 8-10 hours a day.  I feel physically ready to go back, but I can't tolerate the protein shakes I planned on taking to help me meet my protein goals.  The plan was that I would take one shake in the morning, for breakfast, and one for lunch.  I took a protein shake this morning and was absolutely miserable, not pain, but just felt gross and uncomfortable.  Does anyone have any advice for me, maybe take 1/2 a protein shake and work my way up?  It seems like anytime I have any protein, this happens, my stomach just doesn't like it.  Has anyone had this experience and what did you do about it?  If my stomach is upset while I am working, there's nothing I can do about it.  I just have to work through it.  Maybe my work will distract me from the discomfort.  I need to get a handle on this or I'm going to have to take more time off work, and I can't really affort to do that.  Please help!
Valerie G.
on 3/22/12 6:00 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 It may be the whey protein.  You might want to try something else for protein rather than dealing with such agony.  Find some pocket snacks.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Dreamgenie84003
on 3/22/12 6:39 am - American fork, UT
I think I've decided to pack some hard boiled eggs, cottage cheese, things like that...at least until my stomach can handle more. Deli meats, tuna, things like that are making it hurt. I've noticed you eat greek yogurt, how does that compare to normal yogurt, do you think it will hurt?
Valerie G.
on 3/23/12 1:11 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 Greek yogurt is thicker and 2-3 times as rich in protein than regular yogurt.  It may or may not hurt, but will definitely fill you up faster.  

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

prettypixels
on 3/22/12 12:38 pm
Yogurt (greek or other) should not hurt, no.

You might try egg protein; it is much lighter feeling than the whey protein and doesn't give you that icky tummy feeling. Also if you are using milk in your shakes, try goat's milk. Much easier to digest. I developed lactose intolerance horrifically post-op but have no trouble with goat's milk.

You can buy egg white protein at Vitamin Shoppe and it is yum! Seriously! I get the vanilla.
mrsannie
on 3/23/12 5:28 am
I had major lactose issues for almost a year.  Any dairy (shakes too!) really killed me.  I'm OK with dairy now but I still can not tolerate those shakes, they make me fart all day!!!  :(  The bars are worse!!!

I posted this problem on the board once and someone said "why are you torturing your self, eat your protein."  Now I eat my protein and have had no issues.  In the morning I have an omelet with some sort of meat and cheese, for lunch and dinner some sort of protein.  For snacks I buy a small lean ham that I slice thick and makes cut into strips and eat with cheddar cheese sticks.  I put it in a small plastic bag and off I go.  If I'm not going to eat it right away I use a small insulated bag to keep it cold. YUM!!!

Fills me up and is loaded with protein.

Nothing will change if you don't have the courage to change it!
      And stop calling me "Shirley!"    
Raven300
on 3/23/12 8:17 am
 To handle the protein shakes, I had to experiment with many different types. What works for me is whey protein isolate in a natural flavor mixed with water.  I felt similiar to what you described after drinking many of the others and would often get gas and bowel issues hours later.  Turned out that post-ds, I cannot handle sucralose aka splenda. This artifical sweetner cant be absorbed by the body and causes problems for a portion of the DS population.

You may also want to consider what the other posters stated.  Everyone is different and you might not be able to tolerate whey protein. As mentioned, there are also egg protein, rice protein isolate, and even pea protein.  Just keep trying and find what works for you!
     HW-345,SW-300, CW-144lbs.  DS 5/11/10. 
     First round of plastics with Dr. LoMonaco 11/8/11  LBL, BL. 14lbs of skin removed.
     2nd round with Dr. LoMonaco 2/8/12 Brachioplasty, Thigh lift,  Breast Implants.

Sunshine16
on 3/24/12 12:26 am
Well  I'm a little allergic to Whey, I just realize they put SOY products in there..not good for me.

SW / CW / GW 292 / 188 / 174 - Height 5'7, Size 10

newyorkbitch
on 3/24/12 2:34 am
You're going to lift 75 lb bags at 3-weeks post-op?  All day long?  That is not smart.