how long before you started enjoying food again?

Long2bLittle
on 3/21/12 10:47 pm - Wayland, MI
DS on 04/17/12
 Thanks for the heads up on what is some of the better choices!  I know all about the "product" diet.  I was on a VLCD (very low calorie diet) when I did my medically supervised weight loss program, through Weigh to Wellnes (Advantage Health).  I was not allowed to have the entrees during that diet though.  Mainly the shakes, soups, bars and jello (same product that GHP carries).  It was OK, but I'm not really looking forward to it, but at least I know I can do it.

I understand about yearning for real food!  I had done the VLCD for quite a while and it was OK at first, but definitely craved the real stuff!

Sounds like you are doing really well post-op.  Keep up the good work! :-)

Beam me up Scottie
on 3/21/12 2:48 pm
A few months.....but even then I had a lot of restriction.
ChristyTal
on 3/22/12 12:19 am
It  was probably five months at least before I "enjoyed" food.  Everything tasted and smelled terrible to me.  Not everyone takes that long, but, I did. 

I enjoy food tons now, and LOVE my DS!

Good luck!

Christy

Chad M.
on 3/23/12 3:33 am - Indianapolis, IN
Months.
zix
on 3/23/12 6:54 am - PA
DS on 02/13/12
I'm not quite 6 weeks out and I am starting to enjoy food most days. Some days I still feel yucky and can hardly get anything down. However, the amount of food I enjoy is still miniscule. For example, I cannot eat an entire scrambled egg in one sitting yet, but the first half of it tastes great!
MsBatt
on 3/23/12 12:26 pm
I enjoyed food as sooon as I was allowed to eat any REAL food. Liquids and pureed stuck sucked.

Due to the holidays, I didn't get my staples out until day 19. On the way home, we stopped at a Chinese buffet and I enjoyed all six bites that I ate. (*grin*)

That said, at more than 8 years post-op, I still have days when I have absolutely NO appetite, and those suck. I just seems wrong to eat without the desire for food.
Sandra C.
on 3/23/12 1:48 pm, edited 3/23/12 1:48 pm - Kalamazoo, MI
 We started eating out at 4 months, at Cracker Barrel for breakfast. I couldnt believe how much I was able to eat- 2 eggs,2 pc  bacon,2 sausages. From then on we have tried every kind of restaurant possible. Lots to chose from everywhere. I really enjoyed the spicy  buffet food at the India place. 

The first 3 months I was tolerating shakes best( Premier 30g protein- Sams and Costco), real food was uncomfortable sitting heavy in my tummy. Now at 6-7 months out I can enjoy a rare steak, or pork ribs, dark meat chicken and fish. Onions, mushrooms, green beans, tomato  turkey chilli w/beans, raw apples, baked apples, mango, papaya, pineapple, I am enjoying all these, in small quantities. Cashews were good at about 2-3 months if chewed a lot. they are a very soft nut. Almonds are too dry for me now unlss I sip a shake with them. My appetite is way down, not what it used to be, and thats a very good thing!!!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Duodenal Switch- lap
Dr. Paul. Kemmeter Grand Rapids, Mi.
Dr. John  Renucci, Plastics, Body contouring,Grand Rapids, Mi.
Start 255/ Surgery wt 235/ Current wt. 117

BMI-20, 135 lbs lost, 5'3"

Most Active