Need some encouragment.

merrymorris
on 3/19/12 5:55 am - philadelphia, PA
DS on 04/26/12
So I have been so excited for my surgery which is on April 26th but have had about two weeks of eating horribly. It's almost like I am trying to sabotage myself. Grr...what is my problem? Sounds like it might be time to go back to my therapist. Did anyone do this? I need to get control of myself NOW. I am just so afraid I am going to gain a ton of weight and my surgeon will cancel the surgery. The head nurse said that could happen. I am screaming at myself on the inside while shoving sugar in my mouth on the outside. I am so frustrated. Heeeeelp!

WowMomLol
on 3/19/12 6:24 am - MI

I think that we all went through some stage of that.  It’s the whole…let me eat everything that I will be deprived of after surgery, now while I can.  The problem with that is, think about that one thing you just had to have yesterday or whenever.  Having that goodie then, doesn’t fill you up now.  You would still have more now, because yesterday is gone and today it is calling your name all over again.  Since you are going to have to give it up, you should tell yourself today is as good as tomorrow. 

One day at a time.  Good luck to you!

buffalobillsfan
on 3/19/12 9:23 am - CA
I had a few months of "last supper" eating before surgery (21 lbs worth actually).  I was convinced I was only going to eat a tablespoon of food for the rest of my life and never eat "good foods" again.  What a crock.  The stress of surgery can also lead to binging. 
I think this falls under normal but you don't want to gain weight.  Trust me.  I remember my whole first month's weight loss was just what I had recently gained.  What a waste. 

lisaiamhappy
on 3/19/12 5:16 pm - LeBlanc, LA
this is all perfeckly normal. It will be better. our minds are programed that way to think we will never get good food again it is just not true but the mind does not understand this yet.Lisa

merrymorris
on 3/20/12 1:40 am - philadelphia, PA
DS on 04/26/12
Thanks, Guys. I have been getting things under control the past two days and feel a lot better! So glad to hear that it is normal and yeah, I don't want to gain MORE weight so I am stopping this cycle now.
NoMore B.
on 3/20/12 1:47 am
 Just remember that it's helpful to lose a bit of weight before surgery, to shrink your liver which makes the surgery easier.  

Dont feel like you have to have a Last Supper.  There are no absolutes.  There will be a period of time while you're recovering and your stomach is healing that you will not eat (or likely even not want to eat) some of the things you want to now - but - in time, you'll see that you will be able to incorporate things back in your diet.  I'm 2 1/2 years out and there's really nothing I cant / dont eat.  I just dont eat certain things in the quantity or frequency that I once did.  
Beam me up Scottie
on 3/20/12 9:19 am
I've been on these boards for 7years and cannot remember a surgery being canceled due to a person gaining a few lbs. I'm not saying it can't happen.......but I don't know of it ever happening.
Blank Out
on 3/20/12 9:21 am
 I am going on two years out, and there is nothing that I can't eat and enjoy now.  So, don't feel like it's your last supper.  I'm sure it's just stress eating.  You will be fine!

HW/ 302  SW/287  CW/140  GW/135

merrymorris
on 3/23/12 3:32 am - philadelphia, PA
DS on 04/26/12
Again, thanks for the encouragment! It's nice to know that it is relatively normal!!
Most Active